Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker
"No I didn't give you the gift of life, but life gave me the gift of you!"

Saturday, February 2, 2008

IT IS OFFICIAL, I AM ZAHRI'S MOM!

Today was Day #15 of our Appeal Period, so tonight at 6:00 our appeal period ended, and I am now officially Zahri's mother! Yahooooo! I can't even believe it. I think that I am in shock.

It doesn't feel real at all. It feels as if I have just been visiting this beautiful little girl each day and that is that. It doesn't truly feel that I am even 1/2 way around the world. It is all way too surreal. When does it sink in? I mean even the being so far from home, it really doesn't feel real still, and I have been here for a month and a half. You just expect it to be SO different, and it is quite different, but people are still people, they look fairly similar, and they live in houses like we do, and they have families like we do, and the eat similar foods, and they have similar styles in clothing and they laugh at the same things. I am not sure what I expected. It just affirms that this is a really small world and that we are all such similar people, only seperated by water, land and language.

As for Zahri, the most important part in this entire life journey, she is my daughter! I can say it! She is my daughter! Weird hu! I have a daughter! And Z has a Mommy! We now have each other! :) That little girl 1/2 way around the world that I dreamt of for so long, that I wrote of at the beginning of my blog, I have found her and she is even more perfect than I first dreamed. I mean, you let faith take its' course and you fully rely on your agency and the gifts of God. You do your best to step back and just do as you are asked. You give up much control in this journey, which is so darn difficult at so many times throughout the process, but you learn that you must. And here I am, only 11 months after submitting my application to my agency, in Aqtobe, Kazakhstan with the most beautiful daughter. It just isn't real. I can't even imagine what it must feel like on this very day for those adoptive families that have been through years of fertility treatments prior to choosing adoption. To have what you have always dreamed of is surreal really. I can only imagine that giving birth to your child would be the same, surreal. I can't imagine that it really feels real for a couple months. What a monumental change in life! For both me and for Z.

To just take in what she will be feeling in the next couple months both hurts my heart and gives me a million goosebumps of happiness. Her little world is about to change so much! I know that Monday will be emotional for me, to take her from the orphanage, this will be a day of so many mixed emotions. This is all that she knows. This has been her entire life, her home, for nearly all 10 months of it. And then on the following Monday, the 11th, to take her from Aqtobe will be filled with a billion more mixed emotions. Today I looked at her, and I talked with her about how her little world will be changing, completely, in just 2 days. And she just continued to play. :)

The only sadness in this whole journey is losing the luxury of sleep. :) hahaha Okay, so it is a fair trade. Maybe tomorrow I will have a funeral for sleep. I have a feeling that from here on out, at least for the next 20-25 years (as I hope to add another child or two to our family), I will not have the luxury of sleeping in until 9:00.....or 10:00.....or noon. Oh my heavens, what have I done? hahaha just kidding of course.

My daughter is Zahria Alia! Or Zahri! Or Z! Or Z Bean! Or Zukie! I like to sing to her, "Zukhra, Zahria, Alia." Her birth name is Zukhra (pronounced a bit like Zukara), so I sing her names to her, so she can relate what she has known as her name with her given name. :) She now knows her birth name, given name and Z. :)

22 comments:

Susan said...

I am so happy for you. I love ALL those names...Zakara, Alia, Zarhia...all gorgeous--fitting for a gorgeous baby girl with a gorgeous momma! I would imagine it is so surreal. I remember after SEan was born. I was up in the middle of the night, trying to figure how to nurse this tiny little infant who was SOLEY dependent on me. It was such a feeling of being completely overwhelmed and completely in love. It was surreal. Motherhood is just a wild ride. There are moments of pure joy, and moments of intense frustration. :)

Sleep is overated anyway..you will learn to go to bed earlier. I am an early riser anyway, always have been, but i run early anyway. You will adjust to not sleeping late. You will have your little angel with you.

I have so enjoyed your journey. You're so right, it's such a huge leap of faith, and to see God working such miracles really calms my heart.
:)

CONGRATS MOM! :) OFFICIAL MOM NOW!
Thank you for sharing your intimate feelings with us. :)

Karla and Ben said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karla and Ben said...

Congratulations Christy & Zahri! We're so happy for you! You have already shown that you are a terrific mom!

(Sorry, had to delete the earlier post--spelled Z's name wrong!)

Anonymous said...

Heck, it's 3 years since I've been in your position and I still feel that it's not real!!! It feels like just yesterday, but then again it feels like she has always been in my life.

Say, I was wondering about one of Z's birth names, Alia. My daughter's birth name was Aliya. Would you ask your translator if this is the same name? and why it's spelled differently? My translator also told me about the WWII sharpshooter, but at the time I didn't get the whole story--too much going on as it was my last week in Kaz.

I'm just curious--thought of it as I read your last post about Z's name.

Congrats on becoming a family, officially. It's always a relief to get past that last hurdle of the appeal period.

Sandi said...

Congratulations on officially becoming Z's Mom. I am so happy for you. It seems like yesterday that you were on your way, and soon you will be on your way home.

Sending lots of hugs your way.
Sandi

Global Girl said...

Heartfelt congrats! You two are lucky to have each other :)

Amy said...

So wonderful Christy!! You are a mom now!!! And so you most certainly have the first chapter of your daughter's story now. And what a wild chapter it has been. Congratulations on making it this far! Z is beautiful and sweet and you two will be a wonderful little family. I guess it is true what they say about the new mom that has just given "birth" forgetting all the pain and wanting right away to do it again some day. : )

Rebecca said...

We are doing the happy dance in Iowa! Dan picked her up a stuffed animal last night--we all seemed to be comepelled to do that. We all can't wait to meet our new girl!

-Beck.

kristen said...

I am SO excited for you Christy! My son is now 12, so I have gotten used to sleeping again. That will be changing soon - I travel next week to Kazakhstan! Changes are a-coming! Like you said, losing sleep is totally worth it! I just can't wait to me my little one. :) I enjoy reading your blog every day - it is AWESOME!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful day for you and Z ;-) So happy for you!
Shannon

Suzanne said...

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY, CHRISTY!!!!!!!!!!

I"m crying. Just crying up a storm. I'm so happy for you both. Have a great last week with your daughter in your apartment in Aktobe. Then bring our girl home!!!!!!! (that's the royal "our")

xoxoxo
Suzanne

Catalina said...

Congratulations for this wonderful day! I am so happy for you! Forget about sleeping :)

Jackie said...

Congratulations, Christy!! And thanks so much for sharing your blog with me (via Suzanne ;) You must be over the moon. I share your sentiments so much and I look forward to following along on your journey.

Jackie

Matthew Ruley said...

Christy - Contrats! Great news!!! Can you send an invite to Karen P at karen_pere@yahoo.com? Thank you! Suz

Regina said...

Mama mia!!! You are officially a family and I am so happy for you both! You are 2 very lucky girls.

I can so relate to your sentiments about people being the same all over the world. Whenever I experience new cultures what is usually most surprising (yet not) is that we all essentially are living the same human experience, and our needs and desires are pretty much the same. We have much more in common than not. :-)

Jan said...

Thank you so much for sharing you blog with me! I'll be leaving for Ust soon to meet my girl, too...blessings,
Jan in Kentucky

Stacy Peters-Walters said...

CONGRATULATIONS! To you and Z! Stac

Alysa said...

Congratulations Christy and Zahri! I'm so happy for both of you!

Here's wishing the next couple of weeks go as smoothly as the last few weeks and you'll be home soon!

Alysa

Kelly and Sne said...

Congratulations! You're right, reality will probably sink in when dealing with an inconsolable baby at 2am... but on the positive side, I think they're supposed to sleep 12+ hours a night now so you may not be sleeping in but able to hit the sack earlier in the evening. Of course, all the good things will so far outweight any frustrations or "sacrifices" (I use quotes to denote those things you formerly thought were important but now don't seem so much). Enjoy being a new family!

qmiller said...

Christy: Congrats to you and Z! So happy for you and I'm looking forward to hearing about Z stories for years to come! Quaintance

Liz said...

Awesome! I am so happy and relieved for you! Its all "real" now! :) See you soon!

Liz said...

All I can do is smile right now! Your dreams have finally come true! This is amazing. I can't wait to meet her. Good luck with your travles.

Jill

Izaak, Elijah & Ty 'Bear'

Izaak, Elijah & Ty 'Bear'
Cousins (Izaak wants to name my daughter (his cousin) Isabella, Sant (for 'Santa') or Hershey (his friend's dog's name.) Hmmmm I told him that if we name her 'Hershey,' that would mean that we get to give her a lot of kisses.

Kolter Matthius Simon

Kolter Matthius Simon
Littlest Cousin......possibly. Kolter may indeed be the same age as his little girl cousin in Kaz. :)