Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker
"No I didn't give you the gift of life, but life gave me the gift of you!"

Sunday, February 3, 2008

Our New Pad - Our First Place :)

It is official, I have now moved for the 3rd time in a month and a half. Haha If you are looking for a good reference on both Hotel and Apartment life here in Aqtobe, I will be the one to chat with as I have first hand experience in 2 Hotels and 1 apartment now. (Plus I have been in 2 additional apartments here in Aqtobe, so I can say that I have a good feel for living options here.)

I must say that so far so good. Moving into this apartment is a really nice change. Tonight I made supper in my own kitchen, I did some laundry in a washing machine & hung my laundry in the 3-season porch like a true Kazak. I am now watching fun Russian MTV videos and sitting at a true desk, on a real chair, typing on my computer. Yahoo!









Here is the outside of my apartment building, a pretty normal concrete Soviet era apartment building. Check out the front door to my stairway, they must have been serious when installing these doors, they are steel and super heavy duty. The entry doors are secured by a code to get in, but often they are left open so you don’t have to use your code. No elevators here, and I am on the 3rd floor. Really it isn’t bad at all, but getting my heafty luggage up was a chore for Ceric, Bayana and I. Good thing I have them!













This is the door, or should I say doors, there are two, to my apartment. The outside door again is a super heavy duty steel door with a bolt about 2 inches long, no body is getting in this door, but if they do, just in case, there is a second door that they now need to get through too. I guess I would say that I am safe and sound inside my apartment here. I am sure that my mom and dad are happy to hear that!












Is it just me, or is this outlet not up to code? Haha



Code? What code?











Outlet covers to protect children? What? Nope, not here, not in this apartment. Instead I get exposed wires and extension cords to run the washing machine (that drains into the bathtub.) haha At least I have a washing machine I say, it rocks!










After scouring this place, and sweeping the floors, yes this was my broom, I decided to shred some carrots. I want to put carrots in mashed potatoes, like Evy and Davy did, such smart parents, so I went to the local indoor market to buy some carrots. Holy Shit! Look at the size of these things! I think that the carrots are on steroids, and yes, most of them that I have seen look like this. Must be something in the soil here, could it be oil? Yuck, bad thought!












Well, I can’t say that I am ready, but I am sure trying to be ready. I am a little scared I must admit. I sure hope that our transition is fairly smooth. Poor little bean has so many changes ahead of her, but this is one thing that I loved about the Kazakhstan adoption program, we have now bonded for a month and a half so Zahri has learned that I am a constant for her and I believe that she trusts me to some degree already. I am trying to keep things as normal for her as possible. I have all of her favorite toys with me here, her stacking cups, Itsy Bitsy Spider Book, Frog toy, linking teething rings, etc. And I purchased a cheap walker and a blow up beach ball for our time here, she loved both of these toys at the baby house, so I thought that would be fun for her.

Sorry, I didn’t take any photos of Z today, bad mommy, but here are some fun group photos that Davy and Evy just gave me. I must say that Zahri's mohawk is starting to fill in nicely. :)





12 comments:

Susan said...

how exciting!!! i love your new digs! I can understand how you'd be nervous..but you are going to be awesome. I am so excited for you! I love the pictures of all of you together. That's so cool

I hope your first night together goes as smooth as possible. My prayers and warm thoughts are with both of you. I think she is going to love being with her mommy. :)

Suzanne said...

Whoa! Nice outlets! Yikes! But the rest of the place looks great. Good luck with transition #1 this week. I bet it will be easier than you might think. You're doing everything you can to make it smooth, and I think it will pay off.

I'm going to email you a picture of a carrot I pulled out of my (totally organic) garden last fall. Feel free to post it if you think it's appropriate! It could make for interesting discussion.

Hugs-
Suzanne

Unknown said...

Wow, your first home with Z is in some ways similiar to one of our first "places" some 37 years ago:)! You never cease to amaze me with your ability to "go with the flow" in this foreign country! You are experiencing so many new things! I love the group photos! It gives me peace to see you with a group of people in your same position. How nice to make new lifetime friends through this adoption!! Dad and I have our hearts strung out across the ocean thinking about you on Monday! You and Z become a REAL FAMILY---lucky her, lucky you----lucky us!!!!!! Take a deep breath and enjoy the next few days of bonding----we are on our way!!!YEAH!!!!!! Love ya!

Matthew Ruley said...

Housewarming wishes coming to you from FL - looks cozy. Definately not something to show for a homestudy!

I am sure that you will know what to do when alone with Z. You have such a nice spirit about you, I am sure that when she is with you, she will be "at home" no matter where you are!

Amy said...

So neat Christy!! Can't wait to see as you bring Z "home" for the first time!!

Cindy said...

Congratulations Christy! I am so excited for you and Z. You will be great with her. Get some sleep tonight since tomorrow it will all be over.
Unless, Z is like Kylie and likes to cuddle and sleep in on the weekends.....

Kelly and Sne said...

Love your digs! Seriously it looks like you scored one of the nicer apartments. I'm sure Z will love it there too. The good news is that for now you have nothing else to compete for your time except your daughter - how great is that?

Stacy Peters-Walters said...

I'm so excited for you and Z!!!!! You will have so much fun - I can't wait to hear how it all goes!

Patrick & Eileen said...

Christy,
Gosh, a girl has a few computer problems and has to catch up on all your wonderful news!

I'm using our laptop which doesn't have everyone's e-mail addresses, etc. Our computer is in the shop. We'll find out tomorrow if the computer is dead or not. I'm just sick about it. I do have a backup system (thankfully). It's just my e-mails, many e-mail addresses and all my computer fonts for my cardcrafting and scrapbooking - took years to accumulate, could be gone.

Thankfully we have the laptop. I had to go to my blog to find you! Could you resend your mailing address to us? My addy is below.

Sorry to go on (upset) but on the other hand your news outshines everything!

Hugs,
Eileen
hochstein2005@verizon.net

Tammy Botten said...

Christy,
What an exciting journey! Congrats! I have so much respect for you as a mom, and there is not a doubt that Z is the luckiest girl in the world. I know Becky and your mom are so excited to come and meet Z and how wonderful that you have a whole week to bond together all day long. I hope she does well and I am sure it is going to be emotional leaving the orphanage, probably more for you than for Z. Kids are resilient and she will do just fine. Just know she is in such better care with you, and she is so lucky. Good luck and keep us posted.

Tammy

Alysa said...

Great new digs! Bet it's nice to have a washing machine and room to spread out. Those outlets make me cringe though. Unplug when not in use!

Anyway, ditto what everyone else says. You may be nervous, but you'll do great when you get Z full time today! (I'm a day behind here!) Congratulations! You are a great mommy already and your life together is only going to get better.

Alysa

Liz said...

Nice place. It dosen't look bad at all. It seems just like yesterday that you where telling us that you found your daughter and look at you know. A native to the Kaz living, even hanging out clothes out to freeze...or dry! I am so very proud of you, you are an extreamly strong person with a wonderful heart! You and Z are so lucky to have eachother!
Jill

Izaak, Elijah & Ty 'Bear'

Izaak, Elijah & Ty 'Bear'
Cousins (Izaak wants to name my daughter (his cousin) Isabella, Sant (for 'Santa') or Hershey (his friend's dog's name.) Hmmmm I told him that if we name her 'Hershey,' that would mean that we get to give her a lot of kisses.

Kolter Matthius Simon

Kolter Matthius Simon
Littlest Cousin......possibly. Kolter may indeed be the same age as his little girl cousin in Kaz. :)