Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker
"No I didn't give you the gift of life, but life gave me the gift of you!"

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Just when you think that you've got it

Seriously, today I am way more confused than I was just yesterday. Here are the options when adopting from Kaz:

One trip, 2 trips or in some regions, now 3 trips

Traveling with a Referral or Traveling-to-Select

Aqtobe, Astana, Semey, Taraz, Esik, Karakastek or Shymkent

At the beginning of this journey, I grew comfortable with the idea of traveling-to-select and I was sure that I would go for the 2-trip option......and then I started to read attachment books, and I started leaning towards the longer one trip option as I worried about leaving my daughter once we met, I didn't want for her to feel abandoned once again.........and then I talked w/ a couple other adoptive moms who assured me that my baby is in great hands in her orphanage, that is all that she knows & the caregivers love those babies, so the 2 trip option is feeling a bit more comfortable again. With the two trips, I could come home and prepare the house, her nursery, have a shower and travel back to pick her up with my mom and my sister which would be great! It would also give me a couple weeks in-between my first and second trip to attend to work. But then what if I leave and something happens in the region in-between trips and I am not able to make it back to her for quite some time? If I had been there, would I have been able to work through the issue had I been in-country?

Regions: I was leaning towards Esik or Karakastek as they are just outside of Almaty, but I just found out that they are currently 3-trip regions. Yikes! How could you do that? That may add another $4,000 to my trip. But then are all adoptive parents thinking this same thing thus avoiding these regions? Are there going to then be several healthy babies in these 2 regions versus less in those regions that are easier to adopt from? Ugh! And some of the regions are more open to referrals and others are absolutely not, but that is a very complicated topic that we will leave alone. (which adds a whole nother dynamic to my thinking)

So far, I have made up an Excel spreadsheet comparing all regions, one trip versus two trip options, travel in-country versus not, costs per day in each region (as they do vary from region to region) etc. and the costs range by nearly $6,000 depending on region and length of trips. Semey seems to be the most logical choice, but I have health concerns with this region thus I need to continue on with my research.

What I am learning is that there is no way to 'figure out the right answers,' instead, I can only educate myself and take all of the information in, from here it may just be left to chance?????

3 comments:

Tasha Kent said...

It's amazing how we stay sane in this adoption process.

I wonder where all the rumors come from sometimes. It's hard enough to keep track of Uzbekistan. I hear that it's going to a 2-visit; closing to singles; etc. etc. etc.

Ack.

I finally stopped paying too much attention to the Yahoo groups and started listening only to my agency.

Good luck in your decision!!! Hope you are enjoying the summer.

Matthew Ruley said...

Are you planning on traveling blind? We too are waiting, and not sure what to do if we get the invite to Almaty City. Suzanne

Adoptive Mommy x 3 said...

Hi there,

I happened across your blog tonight and wanted to say hi! We adopted our older daughter (now 2 1/2) from Karakastek in 2005 and had a great experience. Although, it was only one trip at the time. I don't know how I'd feel about three- yikes! Anyhow, we kept a blog for Emi's adoption and have a current blog that we've been keeping up since her little sister's adoption from Japan. Please feel free to email me at gecech@yahoo.com if you'd like the address to either or both. Also, to "Melissa" who posted the comment above, our daughter is ethnically Uzbek and I'd love to hear about the adoption process from Uzbekistan. :-)
Best of luck to you!
-Eryn
Mama to Emi Grace (Kaz)
and Miya Claire (Japan)

Izaak, Elijah & Ty 'Bear'

Izaak, Elijah & Ty 'Bear'
Cousins (Izaak wants to name my daughter (his cousin) Isabella, Sant (for 'Santa') or Hershey (his friend's dog's name.) Hmmmm I told him that if we name her 'Hershey,' that would mean that we get to give her a lot of kisses.

Kolter Matthius Simon

Kolter Matthius Simon
Littlest Cousin......possibly. Kolter may indeed be the same age as his little girl cousin in Kaz. :)