Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker
"No I didn't give you the gift of life, but life gave me the gift of you!"

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

No Soft Bedding

Well, I am reading my Consumer Reports Best Baby Products book, like a good mommy, and found these two tips interesting:

"The safest crib is one that has a firm mattress, a snug-fitting mattress pad, and a fitted crib sheet-and nothing else; no puffy bumper guards, no stuffed animals, no pillows, no quilts. Experts have long recognized the suffocation risk inherent in such soft crib bedding. If you insist on a blanket, keep it at waist height, and tuck the ends firmly under the sides and bottom of the mattress. There should be no loose blankets where the baby sleeps."

"If you can place more than two fingers between the mattress and the crib frame, the fit isn't snug enough."

6 comments:

Patrick & Eileen said...

Hi Christy,
We read what you read from Consumer Reports....but only after we bought our baby bedding already which has a beautiful bumper guard.

So after reading that we ending up buying a "breathable bumper" to replace the African Plains bumper guard. You can check it out at www.breathablebaby.com This is for a baby 0 - 24 months. Not as pretty as our stuffed bumper but safe!

Our bedding is called "African Plains by Brandee Danielle" with embroidered animals and trees on it. We bought that before we decided on adopting a girl. Otherwise I would have gone *pink!* But I really like what we have.

We also ended up buying Halo sleep sack type clothing. We bought some before they became a big hit here in the States. You may even have this already...I don't know? No need for a blanket.

We have pillows and stuffed animals but I guess we could take them out once the little one goes to sleep.

Eileen

marsrob said...

I read the same thing - so, our crib is simply empty - just a nice, cozy sheet. It isn't as cute -but truth is, I think once she's in it, the cuteness will be overwhelming...even without pillows etc...

Angela said...

I have to say the crib does look a little sparse. When my son was in his, it was just him swaddled up tight behind the bare bars on his very firm mattress.

Tasha Kent said...

Great info! Thanks.

marsrob said...

That was such a wonderful comment on our blog. My eyes filled with tears. What a tender thought. You are so sweet.

Matthew Ruley said...

Yes, I had read this too. We just got the crib tonight and I set the bed all up. It sure looks naked! I'm going to look into that breathable bumper! Suz

Izaak, Elijah & Ty 'Bear'

Izaak, Elijah & Ty 'Bear'
Cousins (Izaak wants to name my daughter (his cousin) Isabella, Sant (for 'Santa') or Hershey (his friend's dog's name.) Hmmmm I told him that if we name her 'Hershey,' that would mean that we get to give her a lot of kisses.

Kolter Matthius Simon

Kolter Matthius Simon
Littlest Cousin......possibly. Kolter may indeed be the same age as his little girl cousin in Kaz. :)