Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker
"No I didn't give you the gift of life, but life gave me the gift of you!"

Friday, January 4, 2008

Minorities

This is a photo of the Ymit Baby House, this has been Zahria's home for the past 8 months. Z's Baby Room is on the main floor in the far right wing, there are 3 wings in the babyhouse but the third wing is hard to capture in the photos. PS - That is Ceric's mini-van outside the Baby House. :)

Today totally got away from me, too many snuggles, and I didn’t end up taking many photos. Sorry to all of you that look forward to new Z photos daily. Today Zahri was a complete doll, as always! Today we took her height & head measurements again as well as her weight, and she is the biggest of all 4 babies in our bonding group. Rock on, my girl is pretty darn healthy! Looks like Zahri is now nearly 17 Lbs & 28.8” tall. Both her head circumference and her height are near the 90th percentile on American growth charts, but her weight is pretty low. You just want to start feeding them full of fruits and veggies, juice, baby food, teething treats, etc. but then you hold back because you know that it is just too much for their little tummies to take all at once. Today 2 different people held Z, and after a short time she looked at me and started whimpering, I just love it! This is such a healthy sign of attachment right now. She doesn’t wail, she doesn’t whimper right away, but she is partial to mom! She likes her caregivers too and doesn’t whimper when they come to pick her up, so that is positive to see as well. Here is a photo, the one and only today, of Z and Kyson (Laurie's little man.)

Congratulations to John Jacque and Marie, today was court day and it sounds like all went well and that little Lila will soon be home with her parents in France.

Laurie should have court this coming Thursday and she hopes to the fly back home to Illinois on Friday, Laurie is doing 2 trips. Both Davy & Evy and Geert and Sarah (our Belgium couples) should have court this coming Friday and both couples will be staying for one trip just like me. Here are photos of 3 of our 4 families, tomorrow morning I will try to get a photos of John Jacque, Marie and Lila. :)





Today was Day #14 of our Bonding, so tomorrow is officially the end of our mandatory 15 days of bonding. It sounds like I will then have court on the 18th of January. From what I hear, I will either hear just after court or the next day if all went well at court and the judge will grant the adoption. If I am okayed to be Zahria’s mommy, there is a mandatory 15 day appeal period following our court hearing; in this time, anyone in Z’s birth family can protest the adoption. I feel fairly confident that once the judge okays Zahria’s adoption, that all will be okay and that we will soon be a family. I know that my coordinator is now contacting Z’s birth mother to get her relinquishment letter, this is an additional step required by the courts here in Aqtobe (the children are of course relinquished once before coming to the baby house as well.) I am not sure that this is the same procedure in all regions, it sounded like it is an extra step that very few regions are implementing. If we receive the relinquishment letter, I am not so worried about any appeals from family following court.

I remember reading many posts before traveling about the people here in Kazakhstan; I read that the people here are very direct and abrupt. If you are not fluent in Russian you may think that people are angry when speaking when in fact this is just the normal tone used. It is true, people do seem angry a lot when communicating with each other & people do cut in line here, you could be standing in line at the grocery store and someone will just come in and go in front of you. Twice we were waiting to exchange money and people cut right in front of us. It is quite crazy and frustrating; however, today, while waiting in the unheated entryway of my hotel (it is a small area just before the official entry of the hotel) and 3 people came in to the hotel. All 3 people opened the outside door and then started into the hotel, as I waited in the small area, and all 3 people looked back and noticed that the door to the outside of the hotel was not shutting, so they came back and physically shut the door so I wouldn’t freeze. I was so amazed at that kindness. You wonder if people here are kind, as you can’t speak their language so you really aren’t sure, and this showed me that there is absolutely a kindness here.

On a similar note, you are never quite sure how people will take you when they hear you speaking English either. It seems that most people are aggravated by us, you hear them talk and whisper and look as you are in the stores; but are they interested or are they frustrated by us? I just wish that I knew Russian! I am getting better, I am really trying, but it is so interesting to understand first hand how it feels to be the absolute minority. It really makes me appreciate those living in the U.S. (or even visiting the U.S.) that don’t fluently speak English. You are suspicious of everyone. Are they trying to cheat you out of money when you get your change? Are the prices higher because they can tell that you don’t know their language? (Many items are not priced, so you wonder if your price is the same as the price quoted to others.)

I swear to you that people know that we are American just by looking at us here. I would think we could semi pass as Russian, but we do not. There are so many times that people look at us and say, ‘Hello, Where are you from?” in English. It is crazy. Today at the market an elementary aged kid looked at Laurie and I and said, “Hi!” So I said, “Well hello there.” And he replied back, “My name is ________________.” I chuckled inside knowing this is the first sentence you learn in class when learning another language, so I replied back with, “Good to meet you, my name is Christy.” He was so happy with himself. How did he know that we were American? I tell you it is strange. I had another young man, elementary aged as well, taunt me at the Mosque Mall. He was with a Jr. High or early High School aged boy, and when they learned that I could not speak Russian, he kept coming back and talking to me and laughing. I felt like an idiot after awhile. This little kid was taunting me and I couldn’t say back nicely, ‘You know son, that is really not polite and you should be nicer to people’ or something like that. I would have liked to really surprise him with a nice Russian statement back to throw him off and make him double think what he was doing. It was quite embarrassing. And then there are those people that are so excited that we are American so they can practice their English on us. Today 2 college girls heard us ordering Pampers and they said, ‘Where are you from?” Come to find out they are studying at the University and were so excited to talk with us, in fact we are meeting with them next Monday to go to the University with them. They then helped us find those boogie sucker outer things at the mall (try to explain needing this when you don’t speak the language), and one of the girls, tried to pay for our 2 items. She was so kind! I think they were just so excited to practice their English on us and help us out. They are studying to be translators.

In the end, what I have learned, is that sign language (not even formal sign language) just the charades kind is such a nice tool. Hehe We tend to use our hands a lot to explain what we are trying to convey, and often we are successful. I then take out my Russian / English translation book and add that to our sign language and we get by just fine. hehe

25 comments:

Liz said...

It's such a nice break in my day when I am able to sit down and read your blog. So after the mandatory bonding, are you able to still see her on a daily basis, and when the courts actually grant you permission to be her mother can you bring her to your hotel and have some unsupervised time with her or is it still the same after breakfast and lunch?

Good luck with the taunting Russian boys!
~ Jill

Susan said...

does this region give you custody of z at your hotel after bonding or do you still have to go the baby house? I am glad you had a good visit with your daughter today and are having fun being an english speaking fox in the land of the Russian's.

Stacy Peters-Walters said...

ok - My questions are the same as everyone's - when do you get to take her to your hotel to snuggle!

Your comments about feeling like a minority really hit home. One of AJ's friends from Canada is Vietnamese. When they got married 10 years ago, AJ was their best man. In the wedding, EVERYONE but five of us were Vietnamese and spoke Vietnamese fluently. They were nice enough to give us a translator for the reception, but we still didn't understand the customs. I discovered that I was severely underdressed - In their culture you wear 3 outfits to a wedding. The wedding is handmade brocade asian-style dresses. The reception is a nice business suit/dress. The dance is formal attire - including feather boas and fur! We kept getting strange looks because we were dressed like attending a Midwest summer wedding - a nice sundress. We also didn't understand that we were suppose to be drinking all of the alcohol on our tables and using the open bar - I believe it had something to do with snubbing the family's display of wealth. (On our table was a bottle of white win, bottle of red wing, bottle of cognac and a pitcher of beer.) So I really feel for you - It's hard to not speak the language or understand the culture.

I'm glad you got to cuddle with Z today and found out her height and weight. I love her pic with Kyson. Do you think you'll ever see Laurie and Kyson for reunions? A friend of mine who adopted in China meets every year with all of the families that were adopting at that time.

Take care! Stac

Unknown said...

Just a mommy tip that you probably already know - it will seem cruel, but if you get some saline and put a couple of drops up her nose when she is lying down and then suck out the boogers - it works a lot better - especially if they are really hard to get out. Also, if you do this, the easiest way to get them to hold still (because you know it has to feel like torture) is to put their head in your lap and kind of hold them still with your knees. I don't know if you want to be this cruel, but it does work in extreme situations.

By the way, I was rolling when I read your sentence about asking for one of those suckers in a Russian store, HA! - What ARE they called anyway?

Susan said...

hey-i just downloaded skype--my name is cardiosue! what is yours-we can maybe talk if you are making it work there.

I feel cool. sandi and i talked last night. :)

cardiosue-signing off.
:)

Kelly and Sne said...

It sounds like you are having a real cross-cultural experience. Good for you getting out and being a diplomat. I don't think it matters that you don't speak the language as long as you are friendly and can throw out a few words here and there. Don't let the abruptness get to you. The culture is such that they are not as outwardly friendly but once you hit their inner circle you have a loyal friend for life. They say that it is the opposite in US culture - where we are "superficially" friendly to everyone but don't value deep lasting friendships as much.

And congratulations on the end of the official bonding period! How lucky you two are to have found each other.

Anonymous said...

I'm having Christy and Z withdrawals!! C'mon, quit teasing Russian boys and post something ;-) ;-)

And I need to learn more about Skype, I think??

Yeah, you finished the bonding period by now!!!!
Shannon

Matthew Ruley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Matthew Ruley said...

Yeah on the bonding period being over. Can't wait for you to have Gotcha Day! She is so precious, and the whimpering sounds so cute. All in all it sounds like you're having a great experience there.

Tasha Kent said...

C,
I just LOVE reading your updates of your exciting and life-changing experience in Kaz. Thanks so much for sharing!!

Matthew Ruley said...

I had to chime in about the minority thing. We went to Japan and Hong Kong one year (work and pleasure) and it really was odd to be the only caucasians within a block radius. It is very eye-opening to feel like we really stood out. Everyone in Japan was extremely friendly and most could speak english and wanted to practice with us. Everyone was also very pleased that we had tried to learn a little Japanese, and I felt like a rockstar when I said "Konichiwa, Dozo Yurushiku" which meas hello, its nice to meet you.

kristen said...

hi christy - somehow - after you invited me, i lost the address and just came back upon it! i can not WAIT to read up on your trip to kazakhstan and read more about your bonding with your precious baby girl!! thanks for inviting me - your blog looks awesome! i'm hoping to travel sometime in jan. or feb. at the latest... we'll see! i'm so excited, a new blog of someone in kaz, NOW!! yeah! have a great day! ~kristen

Global Girl said...

Missing your updates. Hope all is well!

qmiller said...

Where oh where are you? Hope all is well with you and Z.

Quaintance

Malissa said...

Hope all is well there. Missing the daily news fromo Aqtobe.

Liz said...

i have the same question as everyone else! Where are you and I hope you and Z are doing well! I cant wait for more updates!

Liz

Amy said...

Okay, I have also been reading Lauri's blog (who is in Aktobe with Christy) and there doesn't seem to be a mention of anything wrong with Christy so hopefully she is just busy.

McMary said...

HI Christy,
Just found you blog--it is so fun reading it. I found you through Suzanne's blog (in Ca) and she sent you my email--thanks for the invite.
I am also from Minnesota and adopting from Kaz and am in the waiting stage. I started about the same time as you but seem to be waiting longer. Your story is so wonderful and your daughter Zahria is beautiful. I'll keep following along. I also have a blog at
http:/mcmary2mcmommy.blogspot.com
So Happy for you,
Mary

Jeremy & Debbie Groh said...

Hope all is going well. I am assuming that you are having internet problems and that is why you have not updated your blog. That was generally the reason why we didn't update while we were in Kaz. Z is really beautiful and we can't wait until she is officially yours and you get to bring her home.
Deb, J, & Sean

Stacy Peters-Walters said...

I'm not sure if this is good nettiquette or not, but I received an email from Christy that she can't post for a while because of technical problems. It seems that the blogger web site thinks she is running a spam blog.

Christy - I hope you get to post soon - I'm having Z withdrawal!

Kelly and Sne said...

I just read the last comment before mind and am relieved to know that your having technical problems and not health or other problems to prevent you from posting! I was getting worried! You should be done with bonding now and we can't wait for the next post to see how you and Z are doing and when's court!

Sandy said...

Christy - I am so glad I finally figured out how to log into this!!! I was getting very worried about the fact you hadn't updated your blog (I have been reading every day) I even tried to get a hold of John to see if he had heard anything from you!!! Glad everything is alright and let me know when you get home with your precious daughter!!
Sandy

Liz said...

I just wanted to let you know that my kids have started asking about how things are going for "your friend who is getting her baby" so because of thier interest, we have found Kaz on the map and put a pin along with a picture of yourself and Z next to it! They are loving it. I also have a friend in Austraila right now and one of my students parents is in Kosovo, so we have done the same for them. Thanks for helping us make geography more interesting!

marsrob said...

Court date is soon, right? Hope you are doing well. Amazing that the bonding period is over. Thinking of you so much.

So many prayers and thoughts of happiness and joy coming your way.

Baby Kaz Moore said...

Christy, hi, hope you're doing well. I miss hearing how things are going for you. Please don't think that we've forgotten about you over here in the US. Take care and best wishes in your court hearing. Susan M from Austin

Izaak, Elijah & Ty 'Bear'

Izaak, Elijah & Ty 'Bear'
Cousins (Izaak wants to name my daughter (his cousin) Isabella, Sant (for 'Santa') or Hershey (his friend's dog's name.) Hmmmm I told him that if we name her 'Hershey,' that would mean that we get to give her a lot of kisses.

Kolter Matthius Simon

Kolter Matthius Simon
Littlest Cousin......possibly. Kolter may indeed be the same age as his little girl cousin in Kaz. :)