Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker
"No I didn't give you the gift of life, but life gave me the gift of you!"

Monday, May 14, 2007

Sleeping with my "Pink Teddy"


This past Friday, two days before "Mother's Day," I stopped into our local Hallmark to pick up some specials for my mom and my sister, and low and behold, I bought a new "Pink Teddy." :) hehehe Okay, so it isn't what you may think, but it sure is cute! I wanted to pick up a special teddy bear for my daughter so I could start sleeping with him every night. My plan is to then leave him with my daughter at the baby house while I am away so she can get used to my smell and remember me while I am away. :) I want to make her transition to our family as comfortable and least traumatic as possible. A while back while reading one of my adoption books it asked me to visualize myself as a child/baby, living what I knew to be my normal life, surrounded by my friends & caregivers, not knowing any different existed....and then one day a really nice lady came and adopted me, took me away from all that I knew, my routine, my friends, my caregivers, familiar smells & voices. How would I feel? I would be terrified, even though this person that took me was really nice and gave me new clothes, kisses & attention. She smelled different. I didn't understand her language. It would be traumatic to say the least. That thought completely impacted me. I guess that I would have never thought of just how scary it must be to be adopted as a child / toddler or even an infant. While I have been busy planning and preparing for this event for months, she likely had no advance preparation. I want to be very sensitive to that, thus my new "Pink Teddy." :)

No comments:

Izaak, Elijah & Ty 'Bear'

Izaak, Elijah & Ty 'Bear'
Cousins (Izaak wants to name my daughter (his cousin) Isabella, Sant (for 'Santa') or Hershey (his friend's dog's name.) Hmmmm I told him that if we name her 'Hershey,' that would mean that we get to give her a lot of kisses.

Kolter Matthius Simon

Kolter Matthius Simon
Littlest Cousin......possibly. Kolter may indeed be the same age as his little girl cousin in Kaz. :)