Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker
"No I didn't give you the gift of life, but life gave me the gift of you!"

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

International Adoption Doctor

I have decided to use Dr. Dana Johnson at the University of Minnesota Hospitals as my International Adoption Doctor. (For those less versed in the Internet, if you click on Dr. Johnson's name in the last sentence, it will take you to his site so you can read more of his credentials, service work, etc. :) Dr. Dana Johnson is the Director of the International Adoption Clinic at the University of MN. :)

If I end up getting a referral from my agency, I will send Dr. Johnson over the medicals prior to my acceptance of the child for him to review the health / health risks for my child. I am told that there is a 3 day turn around time on the review. :) At that point, Dr. Johnson will let me know if there are any major medical concerns or if this child seems to be of good health. If he does have specific concerns, I can ask my agency to 'try' to collect additional information on this child for the doctor to review before making any decisions on the acceptance.

And if I end up traveling to select, I will upload all health records on-line as well as any videos and photos that I take while at the orphanage in Kaz so Dr. Johnson can review the health of my child while I am overseas. The turn around time for an overseas review is only 24 hours. :) I can choose to either complete the review and communicate with Dr. Johnson via email or a phone conversation while in country, which is comforting, so if he has Skype, which I would have to think that he does, I can talk with him via the phone through my computer, this would be ideal.

Dr. Johnson comes highly highly recommended within the adoption community, so I feel very comfortable that we are in good hands.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Hi Christy:

I was wondering if you would mind emailing me at AMSharify@aol.com. I wanted to ask you a question about this doctor and the fees involved in using their services.

Thanks,
Amy (adopting a 6 year old from Kaz)

marsrob said...

Congrats on finding a wonderful doctor to help. I have to say that the doctor we've been working with has made a HUGE difference and has helped us out SO much. We are adopting a baby girl (we found out 3 weeks ago about the referral) from Semey, KZ, and hope to get our LOI in the next few weeks. Anyways, having a doctor to support you is a BIG help! If you'd like access to our password-protected blog, email me at jennylri@yahoo.com. Happy to include you!

Susan said...

I haven't made the call to the Doc yet. I know there is one here in St Pete at All Children's Hospital. I hadn't decided if I wanted to do that or not, as i wasn't sure what they could tell from photo's, a medical report that often has made up conditions on there, and a video, and if they told me something, would it change my mind ? I guess i would want to know, so I guess I will call.

Ashlee said...

Christy: Hey! We used Dr. Johnson and absolutely cannot say enough good things about him. He is amazing! Congrats on jumping this hurdle. Ashlee

WilliamsDamion said...

It can also be used when shopping. It will not take up much room in your diaper bag, but it can hold a lot. It is a great bag for carrying when traveling, or for grocery shopping. If you are curious to know more about bag for cloth diapers, here you can get more information about it.

Izaak, Elijah & Ty 'Bear'

Izaak, Elijah & Ty 'Bear'
Cousins (Izaak wants to name my daughter (his cousin) Isabella, Sant (for 'Santa') or Hershey (his friend's dog's name.) Hmmmm I told him that if we name her 'Hershey,' that would mean that we get to give her a lot of kisses.

Kolter Matthius Simon

Kolter Matthius Simon
Littlest Cousin......possibly. Kolter may indeed be the same age as his little girl cousin in Kaz. :)