Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker
"No I didn't give you the gift of life, but life gave me the gift of you!"

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Possible Apartment Living in Aqtobe (Aktobe)






Okay, so I am trying to decide if I would prefer to stay in an apartment or a hotel for my first trip to my daughter's region (hometown.) If I am to stay in an apartment it is about 1/2 the cost, has a kitchen and a living area, however, it may be up several flights of stairs (keep in mind that I will have several suitcases, etc. in tow), safety is a concern for me, and I may have little company. A hotel on the other hand is staffed 24 hours a day which feels a bit more safe, there may be other adoptive families in my same hotel, however, it is twice the cost and I will not have the convenience of a kitchen in my room = again, more expense. Hmmmmm! I have attached a couple photos that another SKM (Single Kaz Mom - this is my adoption pose) emailed to me today, this was her apartment in Aqtobe just last year around this same time. :) The apartment doesn't look too darn shabby! :)

3 comments:

Tasha Kent said...

Go with the hotel. This is the time when you'll be needing a 'community.' As for the cost of things, just remember that you can always make money. You can have more garage sales, do fundraisers or take on a part time job. But having your adoption time in Kaz is not something you can always do. It's a once in a lifetime thing and you don't really want to be alone. You'll want to share you experience, have people take pictures for you and just have other adults to talk with.

Sheila said...

Yeah, it looks like a decent apartment, but the hotel may feel safer and the company would be great on such a long trip!

qmiller said...

I did the apartment for the entire time---I would've loved more company for the first 4 weeks, but was so glad for the apartment when I took custody of my daughter---more space, laundry, crying child. The cost was about 1/3 of what a hotel would have been in Almaty. Is anyone travelling with you?

Izaak, Elijah & Ty 'Bear'

Izaak, Elijah & Ty 'Bear'
Cousins (Izaak wants to name my daughter (his cousin) Isabella, Sant (for 'Santa') or Hershey (his friend's dog's name.) Hmmmm I told him that if we name her 'Hershey,' that would mean that we get to give her a lot of kisses.

Kolter Matthius Simon

Kolter Matthius Simon
Littlest Cousin......possibly. Kolter may indeed be the same age as his little girl cousin in Kaz. :)