Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker
"No I didn't give you the gift of life, but life gave me the gift of you!"

Saturday, December 22, 2007

Bonding

**First – If you have personally emailed me I am having email issues, I can’t receive emails right now but I can send. Grrrr, so I apologize for not getting back to you. I can however go online and read your comments on my blog, thank you so much for commenting it makes life hear all the more enjoyable. **And a shout out to my friends in MN, where the heck are your comments??????? Slackers! Just kidding, you know that I love you, but I would truly love to see you post. Smile! Hint Hint!
**So I remember logging into family's blogs and wondering why they had to write such long entries, and now I understand. :) There is a lot to say!

Today was ‘officially’ Bonding Day #1 and, with some pleading from my translator, I was able to see little Z twice today. I am going to be honest and say that I can’t imagine that the international doctor could say all that much that would sway me from ‘officially’ becoming this little girl’s mommy. She is beautiful, and of course today, she was a complete angel. Already, at just under 9 months, she is rolling over both ways and getting up on all fours! Needless to say, I was totally impressed! She also has 4 teeth, her top front 2 and her bottom front 2. Totally cute! She giggled once tonight and smiled several times for me. She loves when I lay on my back and we do the 1,2,3 and I bring her up over my head, this is how I got the giggle. She is also a wonderful cuddler and I must admit that I am also quite impressed at her ability to hang on to what is hers. I brought in a couple toys, and one of the other little girls (she is 17 months) came over and tried to take the toy, but little Z held on for dear life, at least as long as she could before it was strong armed away from her. No worries, I stepped in as did the other mommy and she got her toy back. Nobody pushes my kid around. Hehe just kidding…..kind of! Big Smile!

This is what I know so far: She was born at 36 weeks and she weighed 5.3lbs, not so shabby. I do also know that she was born in a hospital, which was wonderful to hear, at least I know that the birth was as stress free as possible. I believe that we have both her birth mom and dad’s names too! I say ‘I believe’ because her birth mom gave this information at the hospital, so I am hopeful that it is accurate. It is also Kazak tradition to have a first name, the father’s first name as a middle and then the last name, so her birth father’s name was listed as part of her name. Smile!

Regarding the ‘selection’ process, as I knew, it was a bit tough. The day started at 9:00 am when my translator Aina and I went to the Department of Education. In Aqtobe you meet with the Department of Education and they take you, along with your translator, to the baby house(s) to meet the Orphanage Director and guide you through the selection process. In our initial meeting, the lady at the Dept. of Education asked me a couple questions (that to be quite honest I wasn’t quite prepared to answer):

*Why was I adopting?
*What is my story?
*What do I do for a living?
*Why am I adopting so young?
*Why don’t I want to deliver a baby?
*How much money do I make?

We then took off to the older baby house (it is a pink and blue building for those traveling in the future – I thought something was fishy when we pulled up in front of a pink building as I knew the baby house was white and blue, so I asked my translator why this building and she let me know that the Director was here), I believe that this building is where the children from 3-5 years old are. I met with the Director of the Orphanage(s) and then I was told that I would meet one child there. Needless to say, I was not happy about this. My paperwork indicated a girl, healthy as possible, preferably Kazak, from 6-15 months………and this was a little 4 year old Caucasian girl. I understand that they need to find homes for all of their children, older, younger, special needs, girls, boys, Russian, Kazak, etc. thus they want to open up your mind a bit and show you at least one child out of your preference, but she was quite a bit older than I had requested. My heart really hurt for her as she was so cute and it seemed that she knew the drill. She came right over, sat on my lap, played with my bracelet, I let her wear it, we read a book and when she was told it was time to go she gave me my bracelet right back. Why would they intentionally put a child through this? If I had requested a child up to 3 years of age, I could see them introducing me to a little 4 year old girl, but it was quite a long shot for me. Sad! We then went to the Ymit Baby House (the white and blue building) this is where the babies to age 2 or 3 live. First they brought in Z and she was totally bundled up, head to toe in pink, all I could see was her chubby little cheeks. When the caregiver brought her in and gave her to me, she waited about 10 seconds and then her little lip started quivering and she looked for her caregiver, then the crying started, just a little bit though. She was attached! Perfect! I held her for maybe 3-5 minutes while they told me a bit about her health and then I was introduced to a second little girl; this little one was just over a year and pretty cute too, but I just didn’t connect with her like I did with Z. Seriously you get to meet the kids for only a couple minutes at max. After asking additional questions about Z’s health, her birth, birth mother, etc. they brought in her file and shared some additional information with me. From there I asked to start bonding with this child, she was in fact just what I was hoping for! She is a little Kazak girl, just under 9 months, showed healthy signs of attachment, no ‘truly’ scary health issues. (I will talk about the ‘health issues’ in a later post as it was interesting what was shared with me about her health. I do however recommend to all that haven’t traveled yet to study up on the Russian medical terminology before you travel, it will make your selection process much less stressful. Some of the terms they used and ‘conditions’ that they say she has sound really big but in reality, they are quite common diagnosis in an orphanage setting and in the Russian culture. No worries really.)

Yesterday I started some of my paperwork and Monday I meet with the head of the baby house to get more information on Z’s health and birth history. I will then send off photos, video and her health records to my International Doctor in Minnesota.

A couple tidbits:
*I love the LMI staff here in Aqtobe and in Almaty so far – very impressed!
*My Hotel and the Grocery Store takes Visa, so I could have paid for my entire hotel stay via a credit card if I had wanted. They also took Visa at the Almaty Airport.
*I heard that I could have also possibly brought traveler’s checks for some things, so do ask your coordinator before you order money! I hear that it is easy to work with traveler’s checks in Astana and Almaty and some additional regions too.
*You can smoke nearly anywhere here. Yuck! Very common, so get used to it when you are eating.
*Pay a little more to stay at a nice comfortable place, it will make your trip so much more enjoyable. To have some conveniences of home, a clean bed, a working toilet, etc. is a total bonus when you are this far from home………..especially if you are traveling single!

24 comments:

Matthew Ruley said...

I can't believe I'm the first to post today!

Z sounds totally wonderful, and I cant wait to see photos. I do understand that they try to show you another child/children first that tend to be older or have special need. I am sure that is very difficult for you.

I have heard about the traditional diagnosis of orphanage children (ie anemia, et al) but is there a comprehensive list somewhere of where to find these things? Any recommendations where to find them?

Hope you are staying warm. I thought about you yestday and was speaking to someone about adoption and saying now brave you are ;)

Patty L said...

Congratulations Christy!
Z sounds perfect!!! This is the part of the process I fear the most too!
Patty

Liz said...

Yeah!
Liz and I's morning routine on vactaion in D.C. is...get up, read your blog, oogle over te thought of your dreams finally coming true...go to the gym...check your blog again for any new updates ...shower...have lunch...check your blog...

We are so excited, I can't even imagine how estatic you are. Z sounds perfect, we can not wait to see photo's and hear more about your wonderful daughter and new family!

Have a wonderful time bonding, we can't wait to hear more about little Z.

Jill and Liz

Kristi Gruizenga said...

I'm so estatic for you and little "Z"! And you're right, it's terrible what they did to that 4 year old girl. Remember that you're keeping Z from becoming that girl by adopting her! Enjoy your time and thanks so much for your posts!!

Anne Bentley said...

Awesome! I have emailed you so I'll try to call you. Do you have a yahoo account or some other way of receiving email?

Matthew and Suzanne (I think I've emailed with you before?) you can get a decent list of diagnoses at
http://www.orphandoctor.com/services/assessment/guidelines.html

Scroll down to 'medical diagnoses and defectology in Russia...'

Anne Bentley said...

My comment was cut off--that should be 'guidelines.html' after /assessment/

Rebecca said...

Chris, I know you can't read your e-mail now so I'm posting here. In response to your e-mail of last night/this morning....Oh. My. Heavens. Wow. Stunning. Beautiful. Amazing! Incredible! With everything you posted, it sounds as if she is right on track with every other 8 month old baby. She sounds perfect. Our boys are so excited! I did make the phone call you requested, and will let you know what I hear. Love you, and keep sending pictures! If you could send one as an attachment I could have it printed for my office (hint hint).

Alysa said...

Christy, SHE IS BEAUTIFUL!!! I have tears in my eyes(makes typing difficult :) just looking at the pictures and reading your post. I am so happy for you. Love those cheeks! Precious.

I'm sorry they put you and the 4 year old through what they did, although I understand why. Still heart-wrenching. Wonderful to know that they had 2 seemingly healthy baby girls for you to see though.

Thank you so much for sharing so many details of the process -- it really is helping to prepare me for my upcoming journey to Aqtobe. Expect a long list of questions in a few weeks!

Now the "pressure" is off and you can just enjoy yourself and your baby. Congrats!

Hugs,
Alysa

Anonymous said...

I emailed you but will also comment since you can't read your email. Christy she is ADORABLE! So cute, and healthy and I can already tell... sweet ;-) What a lovely little family you two will make! Yayyyy! Can't wait to hear more over the next few weeks!
Shannon

Suzanne said...

I sweetie, I forgot about your email situation and emailed you last night. Doh! Anyway, keeping my skype on whenever possible, should you feel the urge to chat. And loving all the info about Z. Do you think that it's kind of karmic that her name is quite similar to Zahri?

The story of meeting the 4 year old girl was so heartbreaking. I wonder how many times they've put her through that. I'm sorry you both had to feel that pain.

But I'm so glad you found your wee Z, and that you are slowly becoming a family.

Hugs-
Suzanne

Suzanne said...

Hey there Matthew & Suzanne-

Check out this website for a glossary of Russian Medical terms. I think you'll find it helpful

http://www.adoptmed.org/topics/glossary-of-russian-medical-terms.html

-Another Suzanne

Kelly and Sne said...

Thank you so much for sharing your story! And it sounds like you and Z will become the perfect family together. Glad to hear things are going pretty smoothly so far.

Sandi said...

Christy
I emailed you as well. I also have skype loaded on my computer so if you want to talk or chat let me know I will keep it up and running my user name is sandrahope.martin :)

BTW she is absolutely beautiful and it gives me much relief that I too can do this. I got my LOI so I am heading out on January 20th to meet my daughter on the 22nd, one month behind you. SO therefore I will be looking forward to your updates so I am well prepared.
Sandi

Zihnadoc said...

Hi Christy, I have finally gotten into your blog again. I had a heck of a time because i forgot my password, etc. and anyway...WOW! You are there..you have met Z. (Like that initial, lol) And she sounds a sweetheart! I told you you would know when you met her that she was right for you. It's kind of a "love at first sight" kind of thing. I am sending good vibes that all goes well and you have your new daughter back in the USA! I am anxious to see her picture! I will keep checking here for more info. Merry Christmas, Christy!!!
Zihna

Amy said...

Hi Christy!!! So wonderful to read your latest post! I think it is great that you explained the whole selection process in detail. A lot of people leave this part out or skip right over it because I imagine it is painful. Painful to experience, painful to hear about, painful to remember. The selection process is the area that I am most worried about as well. I do not wish to do harm to any innocent child either. But we are obligated to play by their rules and jump through the hoops set in front of us.

I am so happy to hear about your little Z. Sincerely excited for you. She sounds like a sweet peach. Will be reading to see how things progress and hoping that all is well with you on the other side of the world.

Tosha and family said...

Thank you for your description of your experience thus far! Z just sounds so perfect. I can't wait to see her! The selection process sounds soo scary! I am proud that part is over for you

Tosha

Susan said...

Christy-you are so awesome. I am traveling, but had to log onto my dad's computer so I could read your updates. Your baby sounds just precious. You details are so incredible....thanks for sharing.
Your lil one sounds like she is right on track, rolling over and guarding her toys. Precious!

Patrick & Eileen said...

Hi Christy, We just made it to California....and we set up our laptop so we can look at your blog.

It must have been tough to see the other children, especially knowing that you would not adopt them. It was wonderful to hear that you found your little one and have started bonding. We see that some people have had a chance to see photos of her & at first I thought we missed something but then Pat said you probably e-mailed people photos. Well we look forward to your posting on your blog.

Thanks for all your tips - again very helpful.

Take care and we are thinking of you!

Eileen & Pat

Rebecca said...

Christy, I'm assuming your e-mail is still not up and running so I'm leaving you a message here. Mom and Dad are going crazy. They got to Madison today, and have called me twice to see if you've written or Skyped. They can't get on any internet connection, and they are going nuts without news! Mom says to tell you she can't write or Skype you because no one has internet. If you want me to tell them something, I can relay messages. How was yesterday? Did you bond twice?

qmiller said...

Christy: Sounds as if you're doing great and I'm so happy to hear that you've met such a cutie! It will be a day that is forever ingraved in your memories! Stay warm and be happy---

Quaintance

Stacy Peters-Walters said...

Christy - Thanks for sharing! Shanna and I get on every day to check for updates.It sounds like Z and you were meant to be together - 2 souls finally meeting! Stac

Suzanne said...

Hi again Christy!

I showed my mom your pictures, and she said Z is so beautiful and so are you. Though, I'm sure she meant to say that you are foxy.

xoxo
Suz

Malissa said...

Sounds like everything is going well! I am reading every day. Enjoy your best holiday ever!

Unknown said...

Christy - I just can't believe that all of this is happening... I am so very happy for you and I am so glad that I can be a part of this experience with you and Z. I can't wait to meet her. Send more photos when and if you can.

I can't wait for you both to come home. In the mean time, if there is anything that I can do, please don't hesitate to ask and let me know.

I love you and hope all if well.

Merry Christmas.

Marla Jo

Izaak, Elijah & Ty 'Bear'

Izaak, Elijah & Ty 'Bear'
Cousins (Izaak wants to name my daughter (his cousin) Isabella, Sant (for 'Santa') or Hershey (his friend's dog's name.) Hmmmm I told him that if we name her 'Hershey,' that would mean that we get to give her a lot of kisses.

Kolter Matthius Simon

Kolter Matthius Simon
Littlest Cousin......possibly. Kolter may indeed be the same age as his little girl cousin in Kaz. :)