Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker
"No I didn't give you the gift of life, but life gave me the gift of you!"

Friday, December 28, 2007

Mom is an Idiot!


The past couple days our translators have been decorating our visitation room with party favors to celebrate the new year, it is looking very festive and the babies are having much fun staring at all the shinies in the room. Today we had an unexpected gift when many of the daytime caregivers visited our play room, soon we were having a little dance party with the kids and their caregivers, it was great fun! We were able to take many photos of the babies with their caregivers, wonderful memories!





The New Year is a huge holiday here in Kazakhstan! They celebrate as a family with an evergreen tree, fireworks, food and gifts; truly it sounds a lot like our Christmas gatherings. They even have a Mr. Freeze or Frost that comes to deliver gifts to the children even…….hmmmm sounds awfully close to Christmas.

Every day I adore Zahri more; I know that I say this often, but it is true, she just blossoms more and more everyday. Today she gave up many laughs, she just loves to be tickled and thrown in the air. I can tell now that she is starting to attach to me, which is a wonderful delight. After this afternoon’s visit, I had one of the translators hold her while I put on my boots and she looked down at me and started to whimper a bit, soon she was crying for me to hold her again, it was such a great feeling. She prefers me! After only 7 days of bonding (we are ½ way there to our mandatory 14 days of bonding – yahoo) this little girl is starting to attach to me and that is the most wonderful feeling! Z continues to adore her bottle and her nook, today she had Banana juice & so far so good, she doesn’t seem too picky. Okay……….here is where I tell you what an idiot her mom is…………..I started to feed her a bottle this morning, and she kept sitting up and looking around, she never does this, she usually devours her bottle and is intent on just looking at mom, but she didn’t seem to have any interest in her juice. Hmmmmm so I tried again, as she kept laying back, I knew that she did want to drink so I would try again. Soon my translator Aina came over and laughed, she grabbed my bottle and took out the travel stopper that was preventing any juice from coming out. Oooops, mom is an idiot! Poor little Z was trying to get that juice and mom hadn’t taken off the travel stopper. Oops! Once that was off, she was her normal juice drinking machine and all was good. Hehehe Zahri continues to love the boys in the room too, which is such a relief since she really hasn’t been around many men in her little life. I also gave her a teething biscuit today and she loved it! Within minutes her little face and fingers were filled with dissolving cookie, I am sure that it felt great on her little teething gums! But my favorite thing of all is how she reaches for me when she wants to get up, which is often, she puts out her little hands reaching for my fingers to help her to her feet and I just love it! She is so darn smart already! And Grandma, Z loves ‘You are My Sunshine,’ I told her that this was Grandma’s favorite song!

I also confirmed that Z has all 10 of her toes today, yes today was the first day that I was able to see all of her toes and they are there and perfect!




I am still unsure if I will stay for one trip or leave after about 4 weeks and come back for my ‘Gotcha Trip’ about a month later. Should I decide to stay, I will be in Kazakhstan nearly two months, which is a darn long time. Should I decide to make 2 trips, I would be here a month, back in the U.S. about a month and back to get Zahri for my last 2 week trip. I just can’t imagine leaving this little bean!

No bad experiences with food yet. Laurie and I have now gone out 3 times and have had great luck each time. Our first meal was at the Hotel Dastan where we ordered Potato Skins for an appetizer and then Fajitas for Lunch, these were super yummy. Next we had the Shashlik at the Hungarian Restaurant, and today we tried Pizza at a great restaurant in the basement of the Business Center and it was awesome! I know these don’t seem all that adventurous, but in a new country ½ way around the world you just never know what they think of as pizza, and it was so yummy! Really it was very similar to our pizza but it had more of an authentic flavor, and the cheese was a little different and of course they added dill to the top, dill is on everything here, and I mean everything……….even my chicken noodle soup had dill. We are planning to go to an Armenian Restaurant as a group on January 2nd and from what I hear it is all about MEAT in this culture’s cooking, so we will see about that. Bayana also showed me where a good restaurant is that has wonderful Kabobs, a popular meal here in Kaz, so I would like to try this as well. Here is a photo of the Chicken Fajita at the Hotel Dastan, super yummy!


Washing clothes in the bathroom sink was fun, tonight was laundry night and I felt like a girl on the prarie washing her clothes in a wash tub and hanging them to dry on a makeshift laundry line in my bathroom. I thought about hanging them out the window, as everybody else does here, but I wasn’t sure that it would look very inviting outside the entrance of the hotel.???!!!... I still can’t figure out how their laundry doesn’t freeze.

TIP – Do not forget to bring a really nice size blanket for the floor at the play room, the carpet is pretty yucky. I brought a little afghan and it has worked well, but many families just brought their comforters from their beds in the apartment and this is perfect! It is really nice having a big comfy blanket to play on and those tend to take up a lot of luggage space. Many of the apartments have 2 or 3 bedrooms, so if you know what size apartment you will get, you can probably count on stealing a comforter from one of the beds and making it into a floor blanket at the baby house.

16 comments:

Liz said...

you are not an idiot! you are a new mommy!! I love the picture of Z laughing! She looks so happy.
Liz

Diana said...

Hey!! Thanks for the invite to your blog. Your baby girl is soooo cute. We are still in the paper-chase phase, but things are going well!!

Unknown said...

Oh, my gosh, what beautiful pictures!!!! I will frame the first one and put it on my desk. I also really love the last one! She is so beautiful!!! I'd purchase heaven and earth to have that complection! She looks angelic! I also love the picture of the full group. It is nice to close my eyes and see who you are with right now. It is so cute seeing Z look up at you---checking on her Mommy!

Diana said...

Hey Christy... E-mail me so I can send you an invite to our blog. chirodoc@frontiernet.net

Sandi said...

Christy
You brought tears to my eyes today, she is just so darn cute. I too am struggling with one trip or two. I am going to pack like I am staying the entire time and then we shall see. I have a feeling it might be too hard to come home.

Sandi

Matthew Ruley said...

Z is such a cutie. Hey, the super-duper locked nipple thing sounds like something I'd do. Don't worry about it, doesnt sound like Z freaked out about it or anything.

I love the photo of all the babies! Z's looking up at you. Also enjoyed the dancing story. If Z's a princess, does that make you a dancing queen?

Liz said...

Hello Christy! Liz sent me the link to your blog and I am actually logged in under her name. What an amazing journey!! I look forward to reading your updates everyday...it is great to see how happy you both are!
Cameo

wilisons said...

HI Christy,

Nice to hear that Z has hit magical day #7. It is amazing that the children so quickly learn that their mama has come and the center of her world shifts from all she has known to loving you.

Continue to enjoy your stay in Kazakhstan!

Shanna

Stacy Peters-Walters said...

Hi Christy - Z is such a cutie!!! I've always told AJ it's amazing tht our children survived us - we've done the opposite, forgot to put the stopper in the sippy - yikes!

Mom said grandma used to hang the diapers in the upstairs bedroom to dry/freeze in the winter!

Amy said...

So nice to hear that she is attaching to you already! She is really such a dollface! I love the picture with all the babies and new parents and caretakers. I think it is a hoot that you are sitting next to Laurie and her little boy all the way over in Kaz! What a wild world! I remember talking with her and her worrying about traveling alone. So great that all is going so well for you and that food has not been a problem. By the way the Shaslik's are basically shish ka bobs.

Susan said...

aww i am so glad ya'll are in love with each other in such a short time. and, you are not an idiot....i could tell you lots of dumb things i've done with my son and they all survive. :)

I am sure it will be hard to leave her. We are making 2 trips for sure, as I can't leave my son that long, and I can't take him out of school for that long, so i'm sure it will be hard, but i'll have to deal!

His Beloved Inc. said...

Hey cutie! For all the wonderful things u r going thru I have to say we miss u! I vote for staying, just cuz then u can see her that whole time right? i can't imagine leaving after the bonding. Seeing all of the other kaz adoptive parents comments and reading your blog, it is a wide and wonderful world. I am super glad that u r so comfortable with all of the staff there, it sounds like they are taking good care of u! believe me when i say the days of feeling inept are just starting but trust that God is good! I think she even looks like u..maybe its because u both r so smiley and look so happy. i think when u birth a baby u have some of those same feelings but the end result is the same...u just know u were meant to be together! Hope u continue to do well and we'll keep praying! XXXOOO

Mel and David said...

Your daughter is just adorable and she has the most beautiful smile! I feel like we were there yesterday reading your blog. All of the people/places and other things sound so familiar. It's fun to experience it all again through you. I'm so glad you're both so happy together. Please tell Bayana, Aina, Gulnara and Ceric that the Hills say hello and are wishing them all a healthy and happy new year. They were all very kind to us. Wishing you and your little one the same!

Melanie

Suzanne said...

What a great happy picture of you and Z! Everything sounds like it's going so well - the bonding, the eating, the laundry! Yay!

-Suzanne

Malissa said...

Glad to read that you are enjoying this trip. I'll bet you never thought you would see the day when your blog was full of pictures of such a beautiful baby.

Matthew Ruley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Izaak, Elijah & Ty 'Bear'

Izaak, Elijah & Ty 'Bear'
Cousins (Izaak wants to name my daughter (his cousin) Isabella, Sant (for 'Santa') or Hershey (his friend's dog's name.) Hmmmm I told him that if we name her 'Hershey,' that would mean that we get to give her a lot of kisses.

Kolter Matthius Simon

Kolter Matthius Simon
Littlest Cousin......possibly. Kolter may indeed be the same age as his little girl cousin in Kaz. :)