Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker
"No I didn't give you the gift of life, but life gave me the gift of you!"

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Money Belt(s) Question

Matthew & Suzanne had asked about the whole money belt situation in the airport, great question because I wasn't sure how that would all work either (and was totally freaked out about it at the airport), anyhow, it has not been a problem at all thus far. (I believe that I have checked to be sure that both of my belts are still on me nearly 100 times, but as for check in, no problems.) At the Minneapolis airport, in one of my 5 bins at the security check-in, I put my money belts. The belts are tan, so other passengers cannot see the money, so when I put them in the tote, I wasn't as nervous. The guy looking at the scanner at security didn't say a peep about it and I didn't have to tell anyone about how much money, why I was carrying the money, etc. I am also told NOT to claim anything at customs in Almaty now, my agency sent me an email saying that things have changed and there is no need to go through customs now, don't declare the money, etc. Just go forward and grab my luggage, that actually makes me feel better too. :)

5 comments:

Alysa said...

I'm really hoping to NOT take off the "secret" money pouch going through security -- have to see if there is any metal. Or will maybe keep it in my purse going through security, then put it on in the restroom on the other side. I'm still laughing at your 5 bins! Might not be laughing when it is my turn though!

Patrick & Eileen said...

I was glad that Suz asked the money belt question. I wasn't sure if it's something that we take off & put in the bins or just keep it on our person? I can see that it wasn't a problem for you which is fantastic.

I have to say, that in looking at various blogs....I haven't come across anyone talking about the money belt issue. I guess no news is good news. But it's been on my mind for sure....that's a heck of a lot of money!! Because without the money...we're in deep trouble.

Thanks for answering that question.
Eileen

Pamela said...

I NEVER EVER took off my money belt when I travelled to Kaz last year. Try to keep it on your body at ALL times...and, don't tell anyone else about it, especially in Almaty.

BTW...when you are in the Almaty airport, head to the little restaurant on the top floor. It's pretty safe and you can curl up on one of the benches in the corner of the restaurant if you're tired. That's what I did when I was there. Oh, and if you want to order a beer while you're in the restaurant, just say "PIVA, pah-zhahl-stah" (beer please)...then say "spah-see-bah" (thank you). They'll bring you a cold one! :-)

One more thing, if you don't like carbonated water, be sure to order "voda bis gaz" (water without gas) and you'll get the regular old stuff.

Good luck!

Pamela

Matthew Ruley said...

Thank you for answering! Great answer! Our money belt has a metal zipper in it - which beats velcro for security but I'm sure all alarms will ring when I go through the machine with it, and then I'll be frisked, maybe strip searched - and the cash will be confiscated and I'll be grilled with questions. Can you tell I'm anxious about the money?

Glad it was no problem!

Alysa said...

Never traveled with a money belt before, but I think the idea is to keep them on at all times. Jeans, shirts, all sorts of clothing have zippers, so I don't think it would be any issue going through the metal detector with them on.

Izaak, Elijah & Ty 'Bear'

Izaak, Elijah & Ty 'Bear'
Cousins (Izaak wants to name my daughter (his cousin) Isabella, Sant (for 'Santa') or Hershey (his friend's dog's name.) Hmmmm I told him that if we name her 'Hershey,' that would mean that we get to give her a lot of kisses.

Kolter Matthius Simon

Kolter Matthius Simon
Littlest Cousin......possibly. Kolter may indeed be the same age as his little girl cousin in Kaz. :)