Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker
"No I didn't give you the gift of life, but life gave me the gift of you!"

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

More on my LOI - Yep LOI :)

What a day! This morning at 9:30 I found out that the once elusive LOI had shown its' pretty face in my email box. Since that time, I have been in a complete tizzy. After a quick trip to Wal-Mart for my Visa photos (to the left, to the left - sorry that was a tune from college - now dip baby dip) and then much running around getting a cashier's check, making copies, picking up my passport, etc. I ended up beating Mr. Fed-Ex driver to the drop box, so my Visa is officially on its' way to New York. I then cancelled my afternoon appointment, sent off important emails notifying friends, family and co-workers and then started researching plane tickets. Yes, tickets this time of year, for a 2 week stretch only (lucky me) are running between $2260 and $2960. Holy Moly! I believe that I will be flying KLM, the lower of the two fares. Neither KLM or Lufthansa had change fees, so that was very positive, but Lufthansa ended up having 3 stops and costing $700 more so I vote KLM. I will fly from Minneapolis to Amsterdam to Almaty and then off to Aqtobe on a local airline. The only draw back for KLM is that they do not fly out of Almaty every day like Lufthansa does; however, they never go more than one day without an Almaty flight, so I figured that if I had to stay one extra day in Almaty waiting for the flight versus paying $700 more for the initial ticket, I would take another night's stay in Almaty. :)

Just think, most likely, my little one will never spend a Christmas alone, and what a great Christmas gift this trip is going to be. :) I even bought some Christmas clingies at Wal-Mart today, so at least I will have a bit of Christmas cheer in my Hotel Room in Aqtobe.

Well, I best get to bed as it is nearing 11:00 and I am mentally pooped. Tomorrow will be another full day of packing and getting life ready and then Thursday I may just have to go back to the office for the day to tie up loose ends at work.

Merry Christmas to Me!

12 comments:

Susan said...

What a great Visa picture! You are such a fox! :)

I am so excited for you. I heard KLM is much nicer anyway--and the people are nicer. I can't wait to follow along. That stinks it's so pricey-but hey, whatever it takes--Christmas with your daughter is indeed the best gift ever!!

So happy for you!!!!!!

Patrick & Eileen said...

Christy,
We were thinking that by the time *it's our turn* that we'll fly KLM. Are you going to have a long layover time there? From what we hear there will be places to sleep at the airport if needed and/or some people have taken a tour of the city!

You have the Christmas spirit - bringing a little Christmas with you! Your daughter's first gift will be a mom (get's me teary-eyed). I'm so excited for you!!

Eileen

Sandi said...

Christy,
I second Susan, damn girl that is one HOT visa picture.

Ok now to the important stuff, I am so excited for you and overjoyed. I am sure you are in a tizzy with so much to do to get their on time. I too believe I will be flying KLM and I was told by a fellow traveler that KLM has an office in Almaty and it is easier to change flights because you can go right into their office.

Keep us updated.. What a christmas present.

Sandi

Matthew Ruley said...

I second the FL girls is a smoking visa picture! Woo- I never knew someone could look good in one of those!

Yes, there is a lot of hurry up and wait. Although I guess its more wait and hurry up and then wait on a plane.

How exciting- I cna't wait to follow your journey, see pictures of you and her in Kaz, read about your little sweetpea, and eventually see her in her pink room.

Unknown said...

Congratulations. Finally. We flew KLM and they were wonderful. On our flight from Amsterdam to Almaty, they put us in the front which seemed to be 1st class. We had two rows to ourselves, which was great. We got our Visas back pretty quick, so you should hopefully have it in plenty of time. Best wishes and I will be following your blog. Please tell Gulnara, Aina and everyone else that The Ferszt Family said hello,Kisses and Hugs and all that. Take Care Marcy

Amy said...

Did you try Golden Rule travel for your plane tickets? I heard that they can get really good fares although around this time of year that might be very hard.

Stacy Peters-Walters said...

CONGRATULATIONS Christy!!!! What a wonderful Christmas present!!!! We're so excited for you! Have a safe trip! Stacy

Anonymous said...

This will certainly be a Christmas to remember! I'm still so excited for you....
Shannon

Amy said...

Hey remember this? I was scrolling back to look at the beginning of your blog and I spotted this. Not a bad prediction!

My hope is to adopt an infant / toddler girl and I am super hopeful that she will be home by Christmas, at least this is my dream!

Posted by Christy at 6:17 PM

Kami said...

~~ CONGRATULATIONS ~~ I love your blog, thank you for sharing it with me. I can't wait to see a picture of your beautiful daughter and to read all your posts while you are on your trip. I wish you the best of luck for a smooth trip.

Can I steal some of your Aktobe info for my own blog? A special thank you for posting how to pronounce Aktobe. We have been telling people that our baby is in A-K or Q -T-O-B-E waiting for us. We have been saying we don't know what the correct spelling or pronunciation is. LOL

We are still waiting on our LOI but just maybe we will meet you in Kaz.

~Kami and Eric Dykes

Tasha Kent said...

This is beyond exciting!!!

Congrats to you!!!

Jaimie, Gena and Berik said...

We are very excited for you to start this journey!! We will be anxiously awaiting updates and such. I'm with the others, good visa pic. Ya never know you might come home with a baby and a beau! lol, just kidding :) Safe travels! Sincerely, Gena Lloyd (Berik's mommy)

Izaak, Elijah & Ty 'Bear'

Izaak, Elijah & Ty 'Bear'
Cousins (Izaak wants to name my daughter (his cousin) Isabella, Sant (for 'Santa') or Hershey (his friend's dog's name.) Hmmmm I told him that if we name her 'Hershey,' that would mean that we get to give her a lot of kisses.

Kolter Matthius Simon

Kolter Matthius Simon
Littlest Cousin......possibly. Kolter may indeed be the same age as his little girl cousin in Kaz. :)