Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker
"No I didn't give you the gift of life, but life gave me the gift of you!"

Thursday, December 20, 2007

My Trip Continued

(Good overseas internet tip - prewrite your blog entries on Word to save money
My flight from Amsterdam to Almaty was very good, of course it was, I was in first class. Score! The seats very awesome, I could completely recline, stretch my legs, etc. I met another young Kazak man on my flight, he sat next to me and was in his first year of college in Boston studying finance. I hear that Business & Finance are the jobs that pay over here. When he asked why I was flying to Aqtobe, I told him adoption and he was ecstatic. He said that it was so brave and good, he too wants to adopt some day from their orphanages. It sounded like his mom was somehow involved in the orphanages but I didn’t pry. We ate like kings, had a glass of Dutch wine with my supper (from the one grape vine they have in Holland as my Stuart mentioned.)  I just tried to sleep, which I wasn’t successful at. We then circled Almaty for nearly 2 hours and finally ended up landing. I guess that we were the first of 5 planes to actually land, 4 others were diverted to other airports to refuel and wait for the fog to clear; needless to say, this pushed back every flight out of Almaty too. I was supposed to catch the 7:45 flight to Aqtobe, but my flight didn’t even get in until after 8:00 so my Aqtobe flight was pushed back to 10:00, then 11:45, then 12:30 and finally we left Almaty around 2:30. Ugh! (Thus I now cannot visit the orphanage until Friday as today – Thursday – was a national day off.) There were no seats anywhere in the airport to be found, so Marina, my translator, and I hung out on the floor. We also walked next door to the hotel and grabbed some lunch, since the restaurants in the airport were plum full. We had porridge and an apricot pastry, it was very good! The porridge is similar to that that they serve in the orphanages Marina said, it is a rice porridge made with rice, milk, sugar and butter. Mmmm

I did end up flying Air Astana, not SCATT as I had feared (but I still had my Grandma’s Rosary handy Pamela ), airline to Aqtobe and it was again a pretty nice plane. I found myself once again trying to sleep, at times I awoke with my mouth open and a bit of saliva forming at the corners, man was I tired. ;) Once again we had to circle Aqtobe a time or two before landing as the weather was horrendous. Okay people, when I say horrendous, I mean unlike anything you have probably experienced before. I went to college in Grand Forks, North Dakota and we had underground tunnels from the dorms to class due to the cold winters, and it was way way worse in Aqtobe! Cold I tell you – possibly like Antarctica! I had been prepped that the airport was quite simple with dirt floors, but I am not sure anyone could have prepped me enough getting off this plane. First, they brought the stairway up to the plane, we carefully lugged our luggage down the icy staircase and loaded onto a bus. They then brought us to the ‘airport,’ I say this with quite a pause. Their ‘airport’ was no more than an ancient metal pole building with a dirt floor. No insulation, not even fully covered in metal, no reception desk or baggage claim, just an old metal building that we all piled into awaiting our luggage. It was as freezing as I have ever felt and I was not prepped to make sure I had my gloves and hat out for this plane ride, who knew that I would be nearly outside, in Antarctic type cold, the entire time! (Just learned over supper with a very nice Dutch man that the old airport was taken down and a new one is being built, so this is just a temporary building; I guess that it also has an inside area that we weren’t shown w/ a reception desk and chairs, no matter, it was still an old metal pole building and it was chilly. 

TIP #1 for upcoming Aqtobe families flying in the winter months: GET YOUR WARMEST COAT, COZY GLOVES AND FITTED HAT OUT AND READY FOR THE PLANE RIDE FROM ALMATY TO AQTOBE – THIS IS NEARLY AS IMPORTANT AS YOUR PASSPORT!

They then brought our luggage near the building, yes outside, and put it on wooden pallets (like those they bring your retaining wall block on, just wood pallets on the dirt ground) and we all (100-200 people) scrambled in the freezing blowing cold to find our bags and give our baggage ticket to the poor girl that had to check us each out (yes she was outside too without gloves.) I seriously thought that my fingers were going to break right off. It was that cold! We then piled into Ceric’s mini-van and headed off to my hotel. I must mention that Ceric’s van is a very nice newer mini-van, not all that scary.

My hotel is called the Amsterdam and I think it is where the business people stay as it is remarkable. I would have to say that I scored here compared to all of the stories that I have heard of other apartments and hotels.

TIP #2 for all upcoming Aqtobe families: STAY HERE! IF YOU WANT A HOTEL VERSUS AN APARTMENT, THIS IS THE PLACE TO STAY. IT IS A BIT MORE THAN THE OTHER HOTELS, ABOUT $10 MORE A NIGHT, AND ABOUT $35 MORE A NIGHT THAN THE APARTMENTS, BUT I WOULD HAVE TO THINK THAT IT IS TOTALLY WORTH IT!

This hotel is absolutely spotless and fairly new. I will take some exterior photos tomorrow, but I am including photos of my room on this post. Great things so far about the Hotel Amsterdam:
*Clean! – Beds are new and clean, sheets are clean (fairly hard bed but good)
*The bathroom is fully tiled and brand new, nice tub – clean with a drain stopper , they have all towels needed for me – hand towel, face towel, rug towel & full length body towel, they even have a robe for me, the toilet is nice & clean & flushes well, plus…….they have a built-in blow dryer for me! (I say this as if they don’t have them in any of the other rooms here, just mine, all put here just for ME. )
*There is air conditioning in this room (Huge Bonus from what I hear – great to know for Summer Aqtobe families) + there is also a supplement heater just in case the government decides to shut off heat.
*I have a small fridge.
*Desk area with a chair for computer work.
*Armoire for my hang up clothes and a side compartment for folded clothes, with a full length mirror.
*I have internet access, via dial up, in my room. ($5.00 an hour)
*Continental Breakfast is included.
*My TV. has nearly 80 channels including several music channels (some are English at times and switch to Russian at times), fashion & home improvement (Russian). What more does a girl need?  Most of the channels are in Russian but why not submerse myself in it right!!

13 comments:

Kelly and Sne said...

What an adventure you are having! Glad that the flights all worked out... though I must say that after living in Russia for a couple of years I recognize that you are having a very "Russian" experience! Nothing seems to make sense! Best of luck to you during your next big event at the baby house. We'll be sending big hugs and good wishes your way.

qmiller said...

Glad to hear that you are tucked in safe and sound! Stay warm and best wishes at the Baby House tomorrow!! What an adventure--

Quaintance

Amy said...

Good luck tomorrow or in actuality in about nine to ten hours from now!!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you hit the jackpot in terms of accommodations. I'll have to remember that in case end up in Aktobe. However, as a Florida tropical girl I'm not sure I would survive that weather!!!!

Sending warm thoughts, and good luck tomorrow ;-)
Shannon

Matthew Ruley said...

Hey that is awesome! Sounds devine! I know you're probably disappointed that you're not meeting your child ASAP but you probably need time to rest after your 230 hour trip!

Another FL girl here. I can barely imagine. It was 40 degree here the other eve and I couldnt get warm enought.

Matthew Ruley said...

Hey that is awesome! Sounds devine! I know you're probably disappointed that you're not meeting your child ASAP but you probably need time to rest after your 230 hour trip!

Another FL girl here. I can barely imagine. It was 40 degree here the other eve and I couldnt get warm enought.

Susan said...

You are the best blogger ever. Thanks for all the details. First of all, i can't imagine feeling that cold. You are used to cold and you were freezig. YIKES!
Your hotel sounds really nice, and I"m glad you had a good flight.

It sounds like you are staying at the Ritz!

and you have sheets and towels..BONUS. Is the water brown? :)

so excited for you to meet your daughter.

We are all praying for you, foxy momma!

Catalina said...

I am glad your travel was good and you finally arrived in Aqtobe. Best of luck for tomorrow :)

Alysa said...

Officially an Aqtobe resident! Congrats! Hotel sounds marvelous -- huge improvement over the airport! Loving all the detail. Consider it a blessing in disguise that you have the extra time to get settled and to get rested before you are off to the babyhouse. I'm going to do my best to work that into my trip!
Big hugs and wishes for the next part of your journey!

Alysa

Suzanne said...

You paint a great picture, Christy. Enjoy you cushy room tonight. You should be getting out of bed in a couple of hours, then heading out to the baby house. So I'm guessing you will have slept a total of, oh, 3.5 hours. If at all.

My thoughts will be with you all day-
Suzanne

Sandi said...

Ok so it is morning time and I hope you are off to meet your daughter. Oh my goodness I am so excited for you I can't stand it. I hope that everything is going well and that you were able to get some sleep in your fancy shamncy hotel.

Sandi

Pamela said...

Hooray! You made it! When you arrive at the baby house tomorrow and meet your new daughter, that long journey will quickly fall from your mind...worth all the challenges it took to get there.

A couple of tips when you are in the baby house:

1) BRING TOILET PAPER! You will not find any in the one bathroom that you can use. And, unless they've changed things since last summer, there is no seat on the toilet in the only bathroom available to use...so be careful! :-)

2) Be sure to pick up your feet when you walk in the baby house. The curled up linoleum floors can be tricky to navigate. :-)

Please give my best to Aina, Ceric, Gulnara and Bayana!

Many Blessings!

Pamela

marsrob said...

HOORAY!!! Glad you are liking the hotel and woo, we sure know what you mean when you say cold...Semey was BRUTALLY cold!!!

Hope today goes well and you meet your baby!!!

Izaak, Elijah & Ty 'Bear'

Izaak, Elijah & Ty 'Bear'
Cousins (Izaak wants to name my daughter (his cousin) Isabella, Sant (for 'Santa') or Hershey (his friend's dog's name.) Hmmmm I told him that if we name her 'Hershey,' that would mean that we get to give her a lot of kisses.

Kolter Matthius Simon

Kolter Matthius Simon
Littlest Cousin......possibly. Kolter may indeed be the same age as his little girl cousin in Kaz. :)