Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker
"No I didn't give you the gift of life, but life gave me the gift of you!"

Saturday, December 29, 2007

To Stay or Not to Stay?




Z seems to be feeling better and better each day, but I fear that she won’t completely kick this bug until she leaves the baby house. Z is at that stage where if she is down on her tummy, she wants to roll over, and if she rolls over she wants to then stand up, and if she is standing up she then wants to peak around to see everyone, and then she wants to down to get something, and then up again………rarely is she content with just lying there and being lazy………geez do you think that she has done that enough in her little life already.

I am feeling a bit emotional today, very undecided on whether to stay one trip or come home and do the two trips. There are so many pros and cons each way. I hate to leave Z, I don’t want to break this bond or any trust that is being formed, and I don’t want to be jet lagged while bringing her home either. On the other hand, it is more expensive to stay (which is something that I inevitably have to consider) and I know that I will desperately miss home………soon. As great as bonding is, and as wonderful as my hotel is, just being around other people that understand you is a wondrous thing. It is a crazy feeling to be a total minority and to be at the mercy of your interpreter. I am absolutely free to do whatever I would like, shopping, going to the bakery / coffee shop, site seeing, etc. but when you are here alone you just aren’t as adventurous, especially as a woman. I do have Laurie, which is nice, but we are with different agencies, have different drivers and are living in different parts of the city, so it isn’t like having a husband here with me. What to do? The biggest part is my sadness for leaving Zahria here. She is now used to being played with at least once, if not twice (on most days), times a day; for her to then go to nothing for 2-4 weeks will kill me. She needs stimulation! Her little brain is growing like crazy right now and she needs more than eating, changing and sleeping. Her little laugh needs to continue to pop out more and more and his will not happen if she is in her little Room #3.

On another note, yet kind of the same, it is too funny to get into Ceric’s car (when our interpreters are not with us) and between the three of us, Ceric (Russian), me (English) and Margo (Spanish) try to communicate. We are all laughing and doing quite a bit of sign language, it ends up being a messed up game of charades each time the 3 of us try to communicate. Tonight Ceric was trying to tell me about his daughter that is at the Academy in Almaty and how she has a black belt in Taekwondo, and he would do sign language for Taekwondo, then said Academy Almaty, then said Negro. Oops! That was one of his Spanish words that he knows and he was using it in English, oops! He realized his mistake and started to laugh looking for the English word for black. Good thing I know some Spanish, so I caught it and said, “Oh she has a black belt?” Then I showed Margo my belt and she said belt in Spanish, and we all laughed. We can communicate, see! It is just so darn hard and takes so much energy to get one sentence comprehended that you almost say screw it and become a mute while here. Earlier today Ceric was making Sheep noises looking for a word, so I said Sheep? Nyet. No. Ummmm okay, what else could it be? Then he made the sheep noise again and signed like a goatie on his chin, Ahhhh I said, Goat? Da. Yes! He is a riot! When we leave his car we say, paka – meaning bye (not sure of the real Russian spelling but this is how it sounds) and he responds with See Ya. Haha, you expect him to respond in Russian and he pops out the English version, it is great!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great stories, Christy! That's a tough decision you'll have to make, I've wondered what I'll end up doing so I'm looking forward to hearing what you decide to do. I'm such a copycat ;-)
Hugs,
Shannon

Susan said...

Hey there, your stories are very funny. and, I am sure it's not an easy decision. I was for sure NOT going to leave and we were doing it one trip. Then, dates started getting longer, and the reality of being away from home for 2 months started sinking in. My situation is different, since we have Sean (our son) but that's too long to take him out of school, and it's too long to leave him. Our agency is now recommending 2 trips, most likely due to delayed court dates, which is not happening in all regions.
Suprsingly, i was relieved to receive that email because the 1 trip was stressing me out. I felt guilty leaving, but didnt want my husband to leave without me, and with his work schedule, taking Sean everywhere he needs to be would be impossible. So, the 2 trip options works best for us.
Of course, once we get there, I'm sure i will be heartbroken leaving that babe once we meet her.

One thing I can say is that yes, I'm sure it will be hard to leave her, she will miss you, but babies are RESILIANT! You can pick up where you left off. She is USED to the baby house. She gets good care there, she is loved. You will have a long @$$ flight home to rebond with her. You can come home, get some rest, and hopefully be refreshed when you come back.

Either decision you make will be the right one. Like I mentioned, our decision is already really made for us. However, what me get over there, tell my husband I can't go, he'll leave and bring Sean back after the 15 days. Maybe.

What i love/hate best about the process? THE UNKNOWN.
It's like living a real live scooby doo mystery. I am Daphne, the hottie fashion plate, with Velmas brain. HA HA

Matthew Ruley said...

Hi Christy, have you or Laurie thought about changing apartments so you can be closer? (I know you like your hotel). Perhaps you can make a deal with your agencies for you to share rides and once the bonding time runs out, the other agency can pick up the rides (I dont know how it financially works with your agencies).

We went to Japan and China years (work part of it) ago and were gone for a few weeks and I got home sick, but I was also with Matt so I had a constant companion and someone to talk with in english. I understand how difficult it can be with that just 2 weeks, never mind 2 months. At the same time this may be the only time that you may time to spend so much time with Z, and you will create wonderful memories of this time. This is a great time to start gathering items, stories, and information for Z's Lifebook.

I think we'll try to stay the whole time, although if our travel ends up July/August, Matt may come home for a few weeks (residency for masters degree) and leave me there. I secretly fear that, which is why I think you are so brave.

I understand, it is a difficult decision and I wish you luck.

Unknown said...

Hi Chris,

I look forward to catching up on your blog every day and I love hearing about Zahria. She sounds amazing. Taylor sits on my lap and we look at all your pictures and she asks a million "why" questions. Right now she is sitting on my lap, drawing a rainbow, and telling me that she thinks Z is so pretty.

I must say that I think it just might break my heart to leave that beautiful little girl if I were you. I know that this is a difficult decision and I wish you the best either way. I agree that it would be hard to leave her just after you have had such an intense bonding period. I am sure she would recover when you return, but I do not doubt that it would be very hard for her to lose you. (even for a few weeks) Obviously she can't understand why she suddenly doesn't get to see you.

I would like to post an idea here - that maybe all of us that love and support you could pitch in to help with your expenses while you are in Kaz. Every little bit would help. Can you make a post about how expensive things are there - just to give us an idea of cost.

I would be happy to write a paragraph that you could transfer to your blog (from me) that asks for help with expenses so that you can stay.

Love you hon! Enjoy every moment -
Audrey

Sandi said...

Christy,
I love the stories, they are entertaining and really do help those of us waiting.

I am sure you are torn as I am going to be, and I am just going to be flexible, plan for 2 trips and if I decide to stay one long trip then that is what I will do. I like you am not sure I will be able to leave that baby behind. My only positive note to that is like Susan said children are resilent and she is being left with the caretakers she has known her entire life.

Hang in there, you will make the right decision..

sandi

Alysa said...

Ditto what Shannon, Sandi, and Susan said. (How's that for being a copycat?!) Very tough decision, but Zahria will bounce back -- cute video, btw! Either way, you won't make the wrong choice, just the one that works best for you.

I am planning 2 trips, but reading your blog has me wondering if I'll be able to leave for those few weeks myself. Money, job, and pets really don't leave me with much of an option though. On one practical note, I am looking forward to "off-loading" most of the stuff from the first trip and only having to lug what I need to bring the baby home the second.

Good luck with your decision.

Alysa

Unknown said...

Hi Christy,

I love reading your blog everyday! I love seeing all the photos! You know, it does not srprise me at all that you are wanting to stay the whole time. I think if you can and you should. Like you said, this is a very important time and we will all be here when you get home.

Miss you and love you both.
Marla

Pamela said...

Christy, the video is FAB! She's such a cutie-pie! Your decision to stay or go is difficult, indeed. But, let me put in a plug for staying. When we were there last year, although it was hard, my sister decided to stay. In the end, it was much better for everyone as the bonding just continued to grow. Also, travelling with an infant who hasn't seen you for a while can be a bit challenging...it's hard enough when you've had a consistent daily relationship. And, if you stay, you will be completely rested...no double jet lag.

A thought about finances...perhaps Aina and Gulnara can find you a less expensive place to stay. The apartment that we rented was not great, but it was safe and only cost $40 a night. It may be worth checking into other lodging possiblities. Also, the costs for another round trip flight might be more than if you changed accomodations. One last thing, we met several families who decided to share an apartment to save money. Perhaps you might look into this option as well.

There are lots of things to think about, but have faith and break out those beads your Grandma gave ya! With a little prayer and some patience, you'll get your answer.

Peace!
Pamela

Amy said...

Yeah that is a real tough one Christy! I totally understand how you feel on all counts! I think as far as the money goes though that in two to three years from now that won't matter - very rarely do we look back at an important situation and say - boy I wish I wouldn't have spent the money on that. However, keeping your sanity is important and valuable to your little one. But then again I understand how much you would not want to leave and cause her any trauma. I'd write up a pros and cons worksheet to try and come to an answer for myself. They always work for me when I am trying to make an important and difficult decision.

Sheila said...

Hi Christy,

I love reading your blog and following along with your story. Zahria is adorable! Congrats on finding your daughter so quickly! The two trip question is a tricky one. If you can afford to stay, then you should, but otherwise, you should go home and rest up for the big journey home with your daughter. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Sheila

Laura said...

Stay. I was in KZ for 55 days adopting Katie. You will survive!!

Just my $0.02 ; )

Laura
fellow skm

Liz said...

I love the video! She is adorable and it is nice to see her moving around! I can't wait to see more!

Liz

qmiller said...

Christy:
I love the video of Z...so cute!!I was in Kaz for 53 days when adopting Madina--it was so hard, frequently lonely, desparate for English conversation, looking for the familiar in all aspects of the day...but so worth it! She was so attached to me by the time she left the Babyhouse that the transition was relatively painless---I vote "stay if you can", but if you can't it will all be OK! Best wishes with your decision!

Quaintance

Rebecca said...

Christy, I hate that we have missed each other all week and haven't been able to talk. Audrey mentioned pitching in to help with finances, and I would agree with her. Please let us know how we can help. I could take on an extra class if need be. Of course we all have our own opinions on what you should do. Being the bossy oldest sister, it's hard not to contribute mine. I do think you should stay. Perhaps mom and I should make separate trips so you would be alone less? I'll be home now through Wednesday, so let's try to Skype. Please give Zahria a kissy from me.
-Beck.

Suzanne said...

Post more videos!!!!!!!! I can't get enough of wee Z!

I support your decision to stay, if you can. Z is making such great strides with you there every day. Do you have iChat and a video camera for/in your computer? If so, you could do video iChats and maybe that would help when you're feeling lonely. I'll send you my iChat names off-blog if you want to know them.

:-)

Suzanne

Izaak, Elijah & Ty 'Bear'

Izaak, Elijah & Ty 'Bear'
Cousins (Izaak wants to name my daughter (his cousin) Isabella, Sant (for 'Santa') or Hershey (his friend's dog's name.) Hmmmm I told him that if we name her 'Hershey,' that would mean that we get to give her a lot of kisses.

Kolter Matthius Simon

Kolter Matthius Simon
Littlest Cousin......possibly. Kolter may indeed be the same age as his little girl cousin in Kaz. :)