Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker
"No I didn't give you the gift of life, but life gave me the gift of you!"

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Glad she is Mine!





How does a girl go from 8+ hours of sleep each night to an average of possibly 2? I have no idea either, but I am still functioning so I will just go with it! Last night I didn’t get a full hour of sleep, in fact I am not sure that I ever fell asleep. When will this change? Makes a girl really consider doing this adoption in one trip versus two; I will be useless if I have to go ½ way around the world twice in 2 weeks.

Our day: Zahri is starting to really recognize who I am when caregivers bring her up to the playroom, it is great! Today I did try out some of your suggested songs with Z too, she loves Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, I squeeze her close and sing in her ear and she just chills. Thanks for the suggestions Beck, Matt & Suzzanne!! I have also found that I can nearly put Z in a trance by blowing on her neck, immediately she pauses from whatever she is doing and just sits there with her eyes ½ closed, she loves the cold air on her neck. I am sure she is a bit toasty with the 7 layers on. We also have our ‘up’ game figured out, when she is lying on the blanket and is ready to get up, she puts out her arms and grabs on to my fingers and I help her up to her feet, I really can’t believe that she is already that strong. I tell you the first day that we bonded, I am not sure that she even knew that she had any legs, seriously they were jello and now she wants to stand and dance all the time. It is quite amazing what just a couple days, and only a couple hours each day, can do for a baby! She is the only one in our group of 4 babies at 9 months that initiates standing and is trying to get up on all fours. Go Girl! I have also found another favorite of Z’s, I am not yet sure if she is bound to be a t.v. head or if she may be a tad bit vain, but she loves to look through the photos of us on my camera. After we look through a couple of our pictures, I put down the camera, and she peaks around me looking for the camera. She loves looking at those pictures, it is so cute!

You know what is great? Today I looked around and I thought, I wouldn’t want to have chosen any other child in this room, I am so glad that Zahria is mine! And the great part of that is, I think that all 5 sets of parents would say the exact same thing! It is weird how that happens; I had heard that this is the normal feeling, but I worried that I would feel differently somehow. Thank heavens all worked as it was supposed to & Z is mine! Z is in group #3, here is the door to her sleeping / hanging out quarters. :) I also added in a photo of our playroom, the stairway heading up to the playroom and the waiting room, this is the room that you first see when you enter the baby house.






Between visits today Laurie and I ventured out shopping again and we stopped into a Ukrainian Restaurant for lunch. We decided to share the “Shashlik” which is a combination of barbequed (not like our bbq – no sauce) Chicken, Pork and Lamb. I must say that it was quite tasty. Good luck so far on all of my food selections, no tummy aches yet, and I have a really sensitive tummy! I have drank their milk too and no problems. Lucky? The Ukrainian Restaurant that we visited is right by the Mosque and the indoor Mall for future Aqtobe families, and they do have an English Menu. Score!



My team here in Aqtobe has been great! Marina is my translator / head coordinator in Almaty and she initially met me in Almaty at the Airport to help me buy my tickets for my Aqtobe flight. My flight was a couple hours late and then my connecting flight was delayed about 7 hours and she stuck with me, sitting on the airport floor due to lack of space, for the entire time. And now, even though I am in Aqtobe, she still calls every couple days to ask how things are. Aina is my translator here, and she is just great too! For past Aqtobe families, Aina has her son that is now 2 and a little 6 month old daughter, yep a girl! Her son just started Kindergarten; this is what they call daycare. Aina said that her job is to keep her families happy, and they do a good job of that! Ceric is my driver, and for those that know Ceric, he is wonderful. Ceric is that person that you just know is a good soul, he makes little jokes here and there, both in broken English and Russian. Good man! And today, I started working with a second translator too; Bayana will now be with me on my afternoon visits to the orphanage and Aina with me in the morning. Bayana is in her early 20s and full of life, I loved her energy today. She talked with all of the other families in the play room and was down on the floor with the babies, it was great to see.

Things that I love about Aqtobe:

*The little kids are so bundled up they look like little marshmallows!
*The parents pull their little kids (bundled like marshmallows) around on those old time wooden toboggans.
*People hang their laundry out to dry (?) in -30c weather.

15 comments:

Pamela said...

Shashlik...YUM! Things sound like they are going great for you and you are adjusting, albeit without much sleep. If you can stay there instead of flying home during the waiting period after your court date, it will be worth it. Not only will you avoid the double trip around the world, but you'll be able to be with Zahri everyday.

So good to hear the update about Aina and her two children (she only had one when we were there). And, again you are spot on with your descriptions of everyone, particularly Ceric. He is a wonderfully kind and gentle man with a gift for making people feel at ease.

Tip for the restaurants...don't drink the fermented mare's milk (the national drink)...YUK!

Pamela

qmiller said...

Christy:
I'd forgotten how wonderful the Shaslik is...thanks for the visual reminder! You and Z look so content with eachother---what a great moment in realizing that this in indeed the child you were meant to parent! Get some sleep!!

Quaintance

Stacy said...

Just wanted to tell you that Z is just gorgoues. Isn't it funny how it all works out and you have the little one that was meant for you. I remember thinking the same thing about Haven and not wanting anyone but her. It is amazing. I am so glad you finally have her in your amrs!!
Stacy

Anonymous said...

Even sleep deprived, you are still foxy ;-) That word cracks me up.

Shannon

Alysa said...

For we waiting Aqtobe families, it is like having our own personal tour guide! Even pictures of what to eat -- I love it!

You and Zahria do seem to "fit" as a pair. I'm so happy that you realize she is the baby that was meant to be yours. I have the fears you mentioned, that you will sort of wonder, and I guess until you go through it you can't really convince yourself otherwise.

Got your post on my blog. I'm in Denver. Aqtobe is 12 hours ahead. Makes it easy to calulate! LMI still tells me probably middle to end of February, so you will be snug at home before I travel. Good for you -- not so much for me! I would love to have met up with you there.

Sorry you're not sleeping. You're right, one trip might be best if you don't want to deal with the jet lag again -- twice. Try to rest when you can.

Alysa

Amy said...

Congratulations Christy!!!! Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays! She is such a dollface. A music lover too! The pictures are great!! Thank you also for posting the one of Laurie!! It is so nice to see that she has made it to the near end of her journey as well!! Her son is adorable as is your daughter! Congrats again!!

Mel and David said...

Congratulations on meeting your daughter! We are excited for you and love reading your updates and seeing familiar faces and places. Even though we were in Aqtobe over the summer, it seems so long ago. It’s amazing how much we learned about our daughter’s personality and development during the bonding period. The children grow so much with attention and love. Enjoy your time with Z and the holidays.

David

Global Girl said...

Congrats, I am so happy for you! Love Z's name!

Unknown said...

Eli and I were just looking at the picture of you and Z. He wants to go see his Aunt Christy---nothing else seems to satisfy him right now. It is fun to show Izaak and Ty the photos, too. I am so blessed to be spending time with them!
A music lover!!!!!---Grandma's delight! Since your Dad quit his icky habit, he is singing again. I love the sound of his voice. He says that he might even like to join a choir somewhere. You should have heard Becky, Dan, Dad and I last night! They gave me an mp3 player so I was singing to my music while they looked through oldies to add to it. At one point, we were all singing---yikes! The song that I want you to share with Z is "You are My Sunshine". Do you remember it? Grandma sang it to me as a child and I sang it to you. "You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy when skies are gray. You'll never know dear how much I love you. Please don't take my sunshine away." I even sing it to my Kindergarteners when they come in the am and leave in the pm. It is a catchy little tune.
Yikes, this is getting long!!!! Becky and I will bring the ambien, you supply the pillow and we'll all snooze together :)!
Love you!
Mom

Liz said...

Although you are only getting a couple hours of sleep a night you look amazing! My mom starting reading your blog and she has feel in love and begun making all sorts of things for you and little Zahri.

Jill

Sandi said...

Christy
Ok the sleep issue sounds awful. I hope your able to catch up on sleep soon.

I am so happy that things are working out just the way they should.

I agree with Shannon, even lack of sleep and you're still a foxy mom.

Sandi

Stacy Peters-Walters said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS Christy! I showed grandma and mom your blog and they adore little Z already. Grandma just wants to snuggle with her! I promised them that I'd print out your posts from Kaz so they can follow your journey!

Oh - and my kids all love the song, "This Old Man."

This Old Man, he played one, he played nick nack on my thum with a nick nack paddy wack give your dog a bone, this old man is going home.

You go through from 1 to 10. Alanna likes to dance to it.
2 = shoe
3 = knee
4 = door
5 = hive
6 = sticks
7 = all the way to heaven
8 = gate
9 = line
10 = plays nick nack all over again

Not sure if those are the exact lyrics, but its what I sing to the kids and they love it. Stac

Karla and Ben said...

Christy,

We're enjoying your blog. Zahri is just adorable. Thanks for all of helpful hints about Aqtobe. I am loving the advanced peek at life in Kaz. Hope to see you there soon.

Karla

Cindy said...

Congratulations Christy!!! I have not checked my mail in about a week so I had some catching up to do...Zahri is beautiful. You look extremely happy. I'm jealous - your hotel sounds so much better than the one I stayed in. Good thing to remember for baby #2. Glad to hear the update on Aina. She was 5 months pregnant when I was there. Bayanna is a lot of fun and she will take you to some great resturants. Oh, BTW, if you need to pick up baby clothes go back to the basement of the mall. There is a baby store down there that is cheap (as far as Kazakh prices go) and once you buy something they start giving you a discount so that you will go back. I hope your Christmas was merry. Tell everyone in Kaz that Kylie and I say "hi".

Catalina said...

Zahria is so beautiful, I love her outfits she does have so kissable cheeks as you previously wrote.

Izaak, Elijah & Ty 'Bear'

Izaak, Elijah & Ty 'Bear'
Cousins (Izaak wants to name my daughter (his cousin) Isabella, Sant (for 'Santa') or Hershey (his friend's dog's name.) Hmmmm I told him that if we name her 'Hershey,' that would mean that we get to give her a lot of kisses.

Kolter Matthius Simon

Kolter Matthius Simon
Littlest Cousin......possibly. Kolter may indeed be the same age as his little girl cousin in Kaz. :)