Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker
"No I didn't give you the gift of life, but life gave me the gift of you!"

Sunday, December 23, 2007

Yes, Jet Lag is Real!

Jet Lag? Well, I thought that I was good to go on the ‘no’ jet lag issue, due to my one night stay in Amsterdam, but this is obviously not the case. I slept only 1 hour the first night here, 3 hours the next 2 nights, and last night I got a whoppin’ 5 hours of sleep thanks to Tylenol PM. Ugh! Today, December 23rd, I was pooped after our visit and lunch so I decided to take a nap, expecting my normal hour or two, and woke up 6 hours later. Ugh - I am so screwed tonight. :)

**My computer finally let me upload more photos of my hotel, so look all the way to the bottom for photos of my room, the hallway, stairway, pool and Sauna sign; truly this is one of the nicest buildings that I have seen in town! Not the norm, and I feel right at home here! I am talking with the other single mom and it sounds like she is pretty homesick, she is stayig in an apartment and said that it is okay too, doesn't sound as cozy as it is here but it is less expensive which is a bonus. Personally,I would rather pay a bit more to have some human interaction and creature comforts. Neither of us have left our hotel/apartment yet to venture out, we plan to get together tomorrow between our visits to go out on the town, it is tough being here alone with all this moola, you don't feel as safe to venture out.

Today is Sunday, and we are able to see our little ones only once on Sundays, no complaining on my end though, at least I got to go once. Today all of the babies seemed a bit crabby and all they wanted to do was be held and suck their thumbs, they must also know that Sunday is technically a ‘rest day.’ I think I may have posted this, but just in case we have 2 couples from Belgium, 1 from France, another mom from the States and me – I am the newbie!

Z is a rolling machine, if I put her on her tummy, in less than 5 seconds she is on her back and then on her tummy again. You can tell that she really wants to crawl too. She is really trying to figure out how to get up on all fours, which is a tough feat when you have a prized toy in one hand. This can be a very dangerous task, today she took her first spill, she was trying to get up on all fours (w/ that toy in one hand) and one arm gave out and her mouth hit the floor, pretty hard too. Immediately she cried, not whaled, just a sweet cry (hopefully that is all she has in her ) and for the first time I was able to comfort her. Within about 2 minutes she was all better and just snuggled into my neck! I believe that she is also working on another tooth as she is the slobber queen and continually is sucking on her lower lip. I gave her a nook today, and she was in heaven, I am sure that she sucks on her lip to sooth herself as she doesn’t have anything else to really suck on. Poor kid, I am sure those teeth hurt. I have read that sucking is good for a child’s language skills, and since these babies are already drinking out of cups, yes normal cups – not bottles or even sippies, I want for her to be able to have the nook. I also believe that I will be continuing to feed her from a bottle for some time, if she will still take it, that is just a normal soothing activity for a baby. A cup? Man people! Smile. You should see the size of the spoons they eat with too, my heavens, they are the same size that adult men eat with. I don’t even eat with spoons this size. Good thing I brought some infant spoons of my own, if she will take it, this is what I will use to feed her. I did find out yesterday that as of tomorrow I will be able to start feeding and changing Z during my visits, so I visited the local market (grocery store) yesterday with Aina and bought some diapers, wipes, baby food & juice. I am going for anything with lots of vitamins; bananas, carrots, vegetables and chicken, etc. I also brought along a multi-vitamin for babies, it comes in a liquid form so I can put it in her juice or her porridge. Always thinking! Today Z was sucking her thumb, man was that ever cute! (random thought there) I also brought in some slip on booties with a little bear on one foot and a little bunny on the other, they have rattles in them. I want for her to start using her legs more to strengthen those muscles and this was a perfect idea to help her get motivated. When she was lying on her back and bringing her feet up in the sky and then using her arms to try to reach the little bunny. What a trick! It did motivate her to move those legs.

Tomorrow we meet with the director of just this baby house (I believe that is her title?) to get more particulars on Z’s health and her history at the baby house. I am really looking forward to learning more; I also want to see if they know what her birth name means, most names here have a meaning and I am hopeful to learn this tomorrow. I am still not 100% on her given name yet, her birth name is quite hard to pronounce, so even as a middle name it could be tricky. Hmmm.

Tidbits:

*The name that her birth mother or orphanage gave her is called her ‘birth name,’ and the name that I give her is called her ‘given name.’
*No brown water yet.
*They hang their laundry outside to dry in -30c weather. Crazy!
*The cars here are normal, you will see Saturn, BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, etc. Some very nice!
*My Hotel has all of the normal alcohols: Kahlua, Rums, of course a bazillion Vodkas, wines, Heineken, Corona, Budweiser, etc.
*The weather has not been near as cold as it was that first day at the airport. Thank heavens. It still is about zero degrees, but it truly isn’t too bad. Bring a hat & mittens though.
*It is not polite to ask about a child’s ‘real parents.’ Please, if you are curious, and it is appropriate, ask about the ‘birth parents’ because both her birth and her adoptive parents are ‘real parents,’ both sets are real and important.

So far things that I am glad that I brought:

*Travel Alarm Clock
*Leatherman (used many times already – especially the scissors)
*Computer & Camera / Video Camera – no brainer
*Funnel (To put the water from the big jugs into small personal water bottles)
*Teething Toys
*3 ring Binder from LMI with information on Medical Info / Terminology
*Skype Headset – A MUST!!!! (I have spoken with my sister, mom and John in person already and it was such a treat!)
*Pad of paper and a pen (used a ton for several things)
*Permanent Marker (to mark on your ziploc bags full of money - you can then make notes as to when you gave what money to whom right on the bag too.)









15 comments:

Stacy Peters-Walters said...

Hi Christy - Only one day with your baby! (sigh) At least you got to see her, but that would be hard. Do you get to see her on Christmas or do they close the baby house for holidays?

We're going to head up to Madison Christmas afternoon and this weekend. AJ and I think we have our cell phones rigged up so that we can catch Internet up in Madison for my laptop so we can show Grandma your blog. If you have any other pics you want to share and can't get them to upload again, you can email them to me at speterswalters@yahoo.com and I can show them also.

Enjoy your first Christmas Eve with your wonderful baby!!!! Stacy

Sandi said...

I love the update... She sounds as adorable as the pictures you have sent me. I am so happy for you and I am truly hoping you are getting some sleep now.

Sounds like you picked the right place to stay and that everything is working out so far.

Keep up the blogs your giving me hope that I too can have a good experience.

Sandi

Kelly and Sne said...

Wow! The hotel looks posh! And I love it that you can use the "VIP" sauna! Z sounds adorable - how much fun to be able to learn new things about her everyday. My cousin who is in Taldy-Korgan just now said that feeding was a real challenge with the cups and large spoons. I'm sure Z will enjoy regressing a bit and being able to just be a baby for awhile.

(And thanks for the packing tips!)

Pamela said...

Great update, Christy! I love reading about your bonding with little Z...I'm having a flash back to last year! :-) Don't worry about the jetlag, it will pass soon enough. Just keep that Tylenol PM handy and don't be afraif to take it!

Many blessings! What a wonderful way to spend Christmas!

Pamela

Matthew Ruley said...

I know you fret putting yourself off the new timezone by sleeping at the wrong time of the day, but you need some sleep so glad you did it. I remember how hard ti was to adjust when we went to Japan a few years ago.

Z sounds like a cutie! I didnt know sucking was good for language, makes sense though and thank you for the tip on the funnel, I wouldnt have thought of that. Brilliant!

Susan said...

Christy-you are so amazing. I'm so glad you post so detailed. It's so awesome cuz we can almost imagine we are there. :) i'm glad you slept 6 hours, you needed it. i hope you can get on the right schedule soon. thanks for the packing tips too.

of course, i will probably forget all this when it's time for me to go.
I have really enjoyed watching my son with his younger cousins since we've been with my family for the holidays. Everyone has commented on it-it is exciting to think how sweet he will be with this baby kaz sister. Z sounds so precious and sweet--i'm so happy for you.

Unknown said...

Christy.. so excited that everything is going well thus far. Soak up all the info about Z that you can. This will be your only chance to get her background info; take advantage of the opportunity.
Love
Amanda & Bohdan

His Beloved Inc. said...

Hi Honey!! As a family we have been keeping up with your life changing adventure! Thank you for including us, we continue to pray as always for your safety and for this process as you and your little one meet! I am blown away by your bravery on all of it, not just the baby but the traveling and the process, u rock!! In regards to receiving your emails, i just figured out with mine (i recently figured out how to use my cell phone as my modem for wireless connection :)) that sometimes your server blocks u sending and/or receiving based on how u r connecting. tmobile had me sign up for a free gmail account with google since their server restrictions are less so i use that to send now. they walk u right thru your settings too. email me if u need more info and i will post more detail. Everything is good here, SNOWY! we got about 8 inches today and 4 yesterday and it has turned cold, not 30 below for sure but still cold! Will sign off for now but hoping your Christmas is filled with the Reason for the Season! Much love to u!

Anonymous said...

Hey Christy, So glad to be following your journey and yes, that hotel is the way to go ;-) I think Jen and Marshall suggested "No Jet Lag" pills from Whole Foods? After reading your blog I'm headed there day after Christmas to stock up ;-)

Wow, my cat is making this really difficult to type. She has wanted nothing to do with me this evening after I wrapped presents and sat quietly on the couch reading a book while wanting to pet her, but open the computer and she can't get enough of me. It's cracking me up, she's purring and walking across the keyboard. Quite annoying! So if I have any typos, that's why!
Shannon

Anne Bentley said...

Hey, Christy. Can you log into your izoom account here and read your email?

https://mail.izoom.net/login.php

All you have to do is enter your email address and password.

Stacy Peters-Walters said...

Hi Christy - I got the stuff for Grandma - Thanks! I was able to upload them and get them developed last night so she can have developed pics for Christmas!

Your post about the cups and spoons sounded familiar - I work with an instructor who adopted a baby from China 11 years ago. He said that his daughter could use utensils and drink from a cup at 6 months, but that he and his wife treated their daughter just like a newborn - only bottles. They actually took their daughter back to China last year with all of the other couples who adopted that trip to tour. It was funny - he and his wife loved it, but his daughter (who is now 11) asked, "Why can't we go to Egypt instead?" Apparently they had been studying pyramids and she thought that would be cooler. lol! Stac

Alysa said...

I agree with the other posters -- you needed the sleep! You have plenty of time to adjust to the time zone and you will within several days. As frustrating as it is, it is more important to be rested, alert, and to stay healthy.

Hotel looks great, but I think I'll still be in an apartment -- cash, ya know.

Thanks again for your detailed posts and lists -- I've added your glad you brought it list to my must haves! Gotta get shopping later this week.

Have a very Merry Christmas with your baby girl and enjoy your venture out with the other single mom.

Alysa

Angie Minerich said...

Hey Honey! It was nice to skype you yesterday. I love having that options, it makes you feel closer!

Your hotel looks great- WOW! That was a good decision to do that instead of an apartment. It also makes us feel better knowing that you are in an environment with lots of other people to talk with and it being more secure!!! Today is Christmas Eve.....Merry Christmas!

Keep sending those pictures! I have been printing them off. Z is a good addition to the office environment;)

Love ya!

Suzanne said...

Hi Christy-

All sounds well, except your sleeping. Before your next trip, you might consider asking your doctor for a prescription sleep aid. I use Ambien (they now have a time released version) whenever I travel overseas, both on the overnight flights, and the first couple of nights there, to help me get on track. Of course, you probably wouldn't want to use it on your flight back with wee Z. But it could come in handy on the way there and on your first couple of nights.

Loving all the Z stories!

-Suzanne

Anne Bentley said...

Hi again! Skype me when you get a chance--bentleyanne.

Izaak, Elijah & Ty 'Bear'

Izaak, Elijah & Ty 'Bear'
Cousins (Izaak wants to name my daughter (his cousin) Isabella, Sant (for 'Santa') or Hershey (his friend's dog's name.) Hmmmm I told him that if we name her 'Hershey,' that would mean that we get to give her a lot of kisses.

Kolter Matthius Simon

Kolter Matthius Simon
Littlest Cousin......possibly. Kolter may indeed be the same age as his little girl cousin in Kaz. :)